Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Roasted Asparagus with Dijon Vinaigrette


I'm not dictatorial about it, but I do prefer to eat seasonally.  Strawberries are a Summer food, for example - whether bought at a roadside stand or, ideally, picked at a farm - and lesser flavorless specimens should simply not be schlepped thousands of miles from warmer climates so that people can consume them in Michigan in the middle of Winter.  I have spoken!

And asparagus is one of those foods that, to me, is simply integral to a particular season: Spring.  So, since Spring officially begins today, this simple but delicious dish seemed the perfect offering.

Many people aren't aware of this, but you can politely pick up asparagus with your fingers to eat it.  That would be a bit messy here, though; it would also prohibit sharing a bit of the vegetable with a taste of the egg that complements it so well.  So resort to your fork this time, but don't forget that asparagus is really finger food!

This vegetable dish would be lovely at either your Passover Seder or your Easter dinner - both holidays are fast approaching.  Roasting the asparagus intensifies its flavor, so it's delicious to serve to guests; and the egg, of course, is symbolic for both holidays.

But you should really just enjoy this simply because Winter is officially over!

Roasted Asparagus with Egg and Dijon Vinaigrette

1 bunch asparagus
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon + generous sprinkling of kosher salt
2 hard-boiled eggs
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
generous sprinkling of black pepper

Preheat oven to 400F.

Place the asparagus onto a baking sheet; drizzle with the 2 tablespoons oil and the 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Roast for 20  minutes, until fork-tender.  Let cool to room temperature.

Peel the eggs.  Use an egg slicer to cut them first in one direction and then in the other, to make small shreds.  (If you don't have an egg slicer, just chop the eggs.)

Combine the 2 teaspoons oil, lemon juice, and mustard.

Place the asparagus onto a serving platter and sprinkle the egg over it; generously sprinkle salt and pepper over everything.  Drizzle with the vinaigrette and serve immediately.

Serves 4-6.

7 comments:

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf said...

No, I wasn't aware that you could indeed eat asparagus with your fingers. No matter, I'll eat it any way I can! This does look great - I'm going to put it on my Easter dinner menu. Thank you for this post!

Cranberry Morning said...

I so agree with your comment about eating seasonal food! Just yesterday I was outdoors looking intently for little green shoots near last year's asparagus plants. I know it's crazy early, but I am always so eager to enjoy the asparagus from our little patch. Over the years, we've managed to keep just ahead of the rodents. They seem to like asparagus too, and must feed on it during the winter. So far, we've still got a patch to give us several meals in the spring and early summer. Love it! In fact, I was a bit disappointed that every one of our five kids loves asparagus! ;-) I'll love using this recipe, Mary!

Unknown said...

I'm probably one of the only people I know who does not like asparagus!! lol I know, I feel like I'm missing out on something.. especially, when I see something like this!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

What a delicious concoction for asparagus! I love them so!! I always eat my asparagus with my fingers, much to my husbands dismay. I will inform him that not only is it OK, Yenta Mary said it was encouraged. That should shut him up LOL :)

Angela said...

I am an absolute asparagus fanatic, and I agree, it should only be eaten in season. Canned asparagus, however, is one of the most horrid things, ever. Love your simple and beautiful take.

Carla from The River said...

I love what you had to say about seasonal foods. My sister worked on a Strawberry farm in Wisconsin one summer, she advised me to NEVER buy another strawberry shipped from California.
I love Asparagus too!

Chris said...

My favorite asparagus really is finger food - deep fried asparagus. Heavenly!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?