Monday, September 22, 2014

Wishing You a Sweet New Year!


Frances Maggin's Applesauce Cake - the recipe comes with a great story!

Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, begins at sundown on Wednesday. It is a time of joy and anticipation, as well as an opportunity for consideration and reflection.

It's traditional to usher in the new year with apples and honey and other treats, in hopes of a sweet new year. So here are some of my favorite holiday recipes, which I hope you'll enjoy - for Rosh Hashanah, for breaking the fast after Yom Kippur, to celebrate fall, or just 'cause ... :)

Shanah Tovah! [shah-NAH toh-VAH]


Frances Maggin's Applesauce Cake

Pomegranate Molasses-Glazed Carrots

Helen's Apple Cake (Craig's mother's recipe)

Southern Honey Cake

Apple Almond Kugel (one of my most requested recipes)

Challah

Cider-Braised Chicken (Jeremy's favorite chicken dish)

Quince-Glazed Baked Yams

Honey Cakes with Caramel Frosting

Sauteed Apples a la Mode

Applesauce Bars

Vanilla Cakes with Caramelized Bananas (pictured above)

Sugar Cookies

Banana Oatmeal Pie

Grilled Brie with Cherries and Almonds

Orange, Date and Almond Salad


4 comments:

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

Happy New Year! Wish I had had this about a week ago :(

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love the cooking for Rosh Hashanah. I've been thinking up all kinds of honey recipes, apple recipes etc. I enjoyed browsing your list too. Have a happy and a healthy New Year

Cranberry Morning said...

Let me know if you need a taste tester, Mary. I will be happy to oblige. They all sound wonderful.

Chris said...

Happy belated New Year!


Looking for Something ...?