Thursday, November 10, 2011
Popcorn is the official state snack food of Illinois. I'm not much of a popcorn fan - I can eat it, but don't really care if I ever do. However, I know I'm in a distinct minority with regard to my lack of affection for this treat.
Michigan will be playing Illinois this Saturday, so it only seemed appropriate to feature popcorn in today's post. But I had to glam it up a bit. I debated whether to make a sweet or savory version, or whether to make cute little football-shaped popcorn balls.
And then I had an epiphany.
I'm offering something completely fabulous which features an utter lack of redeeming nutritional value (which is, of course, why it's so fabulous!). Even though I can usually live without popcorn, I think I could actually start craving this.
Today's recipe is for Bacon-Parmesan Popcorn.
Yup - salty, crunchy, cheesy, and with bacon. Supreme snack food!
This is ideal for tailgating or for watching the game at home. It's a great treat for any occasion, from watching the Oscars to watching a movie. Truly, how can you go wrong with anything that has bacon???
Pass the popcorn, please ....
1 3-ounce packet low-sodium microwaveable popcorn
4 strips low-sodium bacon
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning (i.e.: Mrs. Dash)
1/3 cup very finely grated Parmesan cheese
Prepare popcorn according to package directions, then place into a large mixing bowl.
Meanwhile, place bacon into a large skillet and cook, turning occasionally, until very crisp. Remove bacon from skillet and crumble; reserve the bacon fat.
Add oil and crumbled bacon to the bacon fat; pour over the popcorn and toss to combine. Sprinkle seasoning and Parmesan over the popcorn, and toss to combine well.
Makes approximately 8 cups of popcorn.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Black Bean 'n' Beer Soup
- Sauteed Apples à la Mode + Giveaway Winner
- Iraqi Salad
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Exotic Bakeries
- Lemon-Glazed Cherry Pasties
- Muppet Muffins
- Hodgson Mill Giveaway!!!
- Chocolate Pecan Pie and the Auction Winner's Inter...
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Kilwin's
- Runza Bites for the Michigan-Nebraska Game
- Honey Mustard Trout
- Cardamom-Scented Shortbread Cookies
- Brussels Sprouts with Chorizo
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Dalat
- Bacon-Parmesan Popcorn
- Butterfinger Fudge
- Chocolate-Glazed Orange Cake
- Primanti Bros. Sandwich
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Roma Bakery
- Shredded Pork Ribs with Corn Cakes
- Butterscotch Pumpkin Pudding
- Pasta in Pesto Cream with Chicken and Tomatoes
- ▼ November (22)