Friday, November 18, 2011
Frugal Floozie Friday -- Kilwin's
Today's Frugal Floozie Friday post features the consummate, classic Fall treat - caramel apples from Kilwin's.
These aren't just any ol' caramel apples, made with little cellophane-wrapped squares ... nope. These are hand-dipped into caramel that has been tended in copper kettles, from the original recipe developed by Don Kilwin himself.
To their credit, Kilwin's uses Granny Smith apples, whose tartness perfectly complements the sweetness of the caramel, which tantalizes with just a hint of butterscotch. The texture is perfection - firm enough to adhere to the apple, soft enough to bite or cut directly into the sublime treat without resistance.
The apples that are dipped into nuts are just over our mandatory Frugal Floozie Friday budget; but the plain ones - a term which is woefully dismissive of a truly luxurious indulgence! - are a perfect $5.
I walk by the windows at Kilwin's on a regular basis, gazing at the beautiful rows of caramel apples each time; they are lined up in formation, ready to go to a good home. It is easy to be seduced by them when you see them in their beautiful simplicity. And once you've eaten one, you'll want to return again and again and again ....
107 East Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
View Larger Map
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Black Bean 'n' Beer Soup
- Sauteed Apples à la Mode + Giveaway Winner
- Iraqi Salad
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Exotic Bakeries
- Lemon-Glazed Cherry Pasties
- Muppet Muffins
- Hodgson Mill Giveaway!!!
- Chocolate Pecan Pie and the Auction Winner's Inter...
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Kilwin's
- Runza Bites for the Michigan-Nebraska Game
- Honey Mustard Trout
- Cardamom-Scented Shortbread Cookies
- Brussels Sprouts with Chorizo
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Dalat
- Bacon-Parmesan Popcorn
- Butterfinger Fudge
- Chocolate-Glazed Orange Cake
- Primanti Bros. Sandwich
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Roma Bakery
- Shredded Pork Ribs with Corn Cakes
- Butterscotch Pumpkin Pudding
- Pasta in Pesto Cream with Chicken and Tomatoes
- ▼ November (22)