Today's Frugal Floozie Friday feature is Haifa Falafel, a friendly and welcoming restaurant offering "Mediterranean cuisine made the Haifa way."
Several of the salads and sandwiches cost less than our mandatory $5 period, let alone $5 per person. It was difficult to choose among the variety, from a pita burger to traditional falafal to chicken shawarma.
But I was in the mood for something unique and different, so I ordered the Majadara Sandwich for $4.82, which offered nutritious lentils and caramelized onions. Sandwiches also come with a tremendous variety of accompaniments: tahini, hummus, garlic spread, Haifa sauce, tomatoes, onion, cucumbers, pickles, cabbage, lettuce and carrots ... whew! Each bite brought different flavors and textures; it was crisp, salty, spicy, vibrant, sweet, crunchy and exceptionally good!
The sandwich was absolutely enormous, and could easily have been halved and shared with someone else. (As it was, I ate half for dinner and then saved the rest for breakfast the next day; it was fabulous both times.) If sharing the meal, you could also buy a couple of the lovely desserts - baklava, rice pudding or mahalabia (milk pudding) - for $2.50 each and still stay within our budget.
For a quick, nutritious meal at a Frugal Floozie Friday price, I highly recommend Haifa Falafel!
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
View Larger Map
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- December (4)
- November (12)
- October (6)
- June (1)
- May (14)
- April (13)
- March (10)
- February (12)
- January (12)
- December (12)
- November (14)
- October (18)
- September (16)
- August (20)
- July (19)
- June (21)
- May (23)
- April (21)
- March (22)
- "Chopped" Challenge - Red Pepper, Spinach and Feta...
- "Chopped" Challenge - Meatballs in Mole Sauce with...
- "Chopped" Challenge - Triple Treyf Mac 'n' Cheese ...
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Cuppy's Best Soulful Deli
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cream Puffs
- Ann Arbor Civic Theatre's Chili Cook-Off
- King Cake Shake
- Mexican Pizza for Justin Verlander's Birthday
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Taqueria La Fiesta
- "Piepalooza" to Benefit Perry Nursery School
- The Best Burger in Metro Detroit
- "Brownie in a Mug" - A Valentine Just for You
- Food and Fun at IKEA
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Haifa Falafel
- National Bagels and Lox Day
- Orange, Date and Almond Salad
- Molly Goldberg's Lemon Meringue Pie
- My "Chopped" Challenge
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Bill's Drive-In
- Poached Eggs with Spinach and Hash Browns
- Wordless Wednesday - A Great Bumper Sticker
- January (22)
- December (22)
- November (22)
- October (21)
- September (22)
- August (23)
- July (21)
- June (22)
- May (20)
- April (21)
- March (23)
- February (21)
- January (21)