Friday, March 2, 2012
Frugal Floozie Friday - Evergreen Restaurant
I couldn't even tell you how long my family has been eating at the Evergreen Restaurant - likely since it opened in 1992. When my father was well enough to come visit in Ann Arbor, he inevitably took Jeremy and me to lunch there. So, because it's a long-time favorite, this seemed like a great place to feature today for Frugal Floozie Friday.
There are a remarkable number of dishes you can order that are well within our mandatory $5 per person budget. Above, you see the Evergreen Sampler for $8.99; it offers Spicy Beef Skewers, Tempura Shrimp, Spring Rolls, and Crab Rangoon. The fried items are all crisp and flaky, and the shrimp are tender and sweet within their coating. This appetizer was split among 4 people before eating dinner, and everyone enjoyed the treats.
After the first course, orders of Sweet and Sour Chicken, Mu Shu Pork, and Mongolian Beef were shared. If a dish is designated as "spicy and hot," you can request varying degrees of heat which are always respected and prepared perfectly. Other favorites among loved ones include Almond Chicken, perfect with its crispy coating; General Tsou's Chicken, which I've tasted from mild to significantly intense; and Beef with Spicy Orange Flavor, which features dried orange peels that contribute both flavor and fabulous aroma.
Entrees are very generous at the Evergreen, and very few of them cost more than $10 per order; these can easily be shared among 2-3 family members and friends to stay within our strict fiscal guidelines. There is a tremendous variety of offerings, as well - I counted more than 110 options on just one side of the take-out menu before I got tired of adding them all up! The restaurant features Mandarin, Sichuan, Hunan, Shanghai, and Taiwan styles of cooking, which might make one wonder whether there is too little focus. But in 20 years of eating there, I have never encountered a bad meal or known anyone who didn't happily devour their food.
The staff is always very friendly and attentive. So stop by sometime and enjoy a great meal in a bright, welcoming atmosphere!
2771 Plymouth Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Sunday - Thursday: 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Friday - Saturday: 11 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.
View Larger Map
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Ayse's Cafe
- Hunka Hunka Burnin' Love Tart
- Peanutty Macaroons
- Krispy Kreme Peanut Butter Dream Sandwich
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Aubree's
- Chickpeas with Chorizo
- Piepalooza - The Perry Pi Day Party
- Roasted Asparagus with Dijon Vinaigrette
- Lentil Salad with Red Pepper Hummus Dressing
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Tour de Food Gatherers
- Fairy Mary's Food Fantasies
- Pi Day - Ooey Gooey Peanut Butter Cream Pie
- Earl Grey's Birthday Tea Cakes
- Raisin Cookies
- Frugal Floozie Friday - The Common Cup Coffeehouse...
- BBQ Pork Sandwich with Fennel and Onion
- Poppy Seed Shortbread Cookies
- "Chopped" Challenge - Mini Carrot Latkes with Choc...
- "Chopped Challenge" - Spiced Potato and Bacon Past...
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Evergreen Restaurant
- "Chopped" Challenge - Piccadillo
- ▼ March (22)
- ► 2011 (259)