Thursday, August 9, 2012

Brown Rice Pudding with Cherries


It's National Rice Pudding Day, and I'm happy to celebrate the occasion!  Except that I try not to eat too many refined carbs.  And really, given my own preferences, I try to stick to lean protein and lots of fruits and vegetables.

However, I think my sweet tooth is pretty legendary, so I'm obviously not a zealot; how many cakes, cookies, and pies have I posted about??? And I definitely make an exception to any dietary guidelines when it comes to indulging in rice pudding, one of my very favorite desserts (and Jeremy's, too).

So when making this pudding, I used brown rice which adds not only a bit of a nutty flavor but also more nutrition and fiber. Sure, its benefits are discounted by the sugar and the half-and-half, but every little bit counts!

The cherries add a really lovely sweet-tartness, and are enhanced by the almond extract, although the traditional raisins would be more than welcome if you prefer.  (You know me - I always have to tinker a bit.) Dates are also wonderful in rice pudding, if you have those on hand.

This recipe is ridiculously easy to make, as are all puddings - sugar, milk, cornstarch, eggs, stir, set, done.  But it's a great luxury and indulgence to enjoy ... :)


Brown Rice Pudding with Cherries

  • 2-1/2 cups water, divided
  • 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice
  • 1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • whipped cream, for serving

In a small saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups water to a boil; add rice, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.  Place rice and cherries into a 2.5-quart casserole dish.

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, salt, cornstarch, and remaining cup of water; bring to a boil, whisking until mixture thickens and turns translucent.  Add half-and-half and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, for 5 minutes until thickened.  Whisk in eggs; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 more minutes.  Add extracts, then pour custard over rice.  (The mixture will look like rice in milk, but the rice will absorb the custard.)

Cover with plastic pressed against the pudding to prevent a skin from forming, and refrigerate for 2 hours.  (If it sits longer than that, you may want to stir in a splash of milk before serving.)

Serve warm or chilled, topped with whipped cream.  Makes 10-12 servings.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never had rice pudding that used brown rice before. I bet it would add a sort of nutty flavor... fantastic idea!!

Cranberry Morning said...

It looks absolutely gorgeous, Mary, but as hard as I've tried, I've never been able to accept rice sweet and cold. Still, if you set that in front of me, I would work at picking out every last speck of cherry and eating it! :-)

Leanne said...

Rice Pudding is one of Phil's favorite desserts! Perhaps I'll should surprise him with some today! (He'll be so surprised when I tell him that it is National Rice Pudding Day!!!) :) Hugs, my friend! MISS YOU!!!!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

My kids love rice pudding, but never made it with brown rice...I need to make a switcheroo & see if they even notice,lol :)

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

I didn't know it's National Rice Pudding Day! OMG i LOVE rice pudding but I rarely eat it because I don't eat much white rice anymore.
Love that you have a brown rice option!!
Woooo hoooo!

Candace said...

I have never once in my life had rice pudding. It looks delicious and with those cherries in there. Yes, please!

Chris said...

My google calendar failed to notify me that it was National Rice Pudding Day so I inadvertently failed to observe it properly. I didn't want you to think we were snubbing you when you didn't get a "National Rice Pudding Day" greeting card from us ;)


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?