Friday, April 19, 2013
Frugal Floozie Friday - Mary's Fabulous Chicken and Fish
As with so many restaurants around town, I'd driven past Mary's Fabulous Chicken and Fish dozens of times, always thinking, "I need to try that place!" Not only does it bear my name, but how many times do I use superlatives like "fabulous"? Just as there is undoubtedly a drinking game that encourages a swig every time Guy Fieri says "Winner, winner, chicken dinner" on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives," when I get my own show on the Food Network there will be a drinking game - sips of coffee only, though; I can't condone anything stronger - associated with my effusive adjectives.
But I digress ....
Jeremy and I went out to lunch on our first really truly Spring-y day recently, with no coats, sunglasses on, windows open. And as we drove past Mary's, we decided the time had come to try it.
The menu is fairly extensive, with many family-friendly dinner packages available. There are also frugal options that meet our mandatory $5 per person budget.
Jeremy ordered the cheesesteak hoagie, asking for no peppers (which he loathes), for $4.99. A foot-long sandwich, it was generously filled with meat and was a hearty lunch.
Other options that come in under the $5 budget are a two-piece fish plate with fries for $4.99, a ten-piece order of chicken nuggets for $2.89, and a variety of chicken snacks - mix 'n' match wings, thighs, or breasts - ranging in price from $2.59-$3.95. You can even choose a large order of gizzards (which was selected for take-out as we ate) for $3.99.
There's a table to sit at; but the bulk of the business is clearly take-out, as four different orders were placed and filled as Jeremy and I sat and enjoyed our meal.
Mary's does make good chicken, and it's worth stopping by to get some.
Mary's Fabulous Chicken and Fish
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
View Larger Map
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (17)
- Let Them Eat Cake at Sweet Beginnings!
- Frugal Floozie Friday - The People's Food Co-op
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Kugel ... and it's ve...
- Moroccan Chickpea Stew with Preserved Lemon
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Mary's Fabulous Chicken an...
- A is for Apples ... à la Mode
- Detroit-Style Pizza
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Bell's Diner
- Still in the Thrift Shops with Rosie
- Michigan Maize 'n' Blue 3-Pointer Pound Cake
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Taco King
- Life Isn't Always Just a Bowl of Cherries
- Faygo Cupcakes for Opening Day!
- ▼ April (13)
- ► 2012 (229)
- ► 2011 (259)