I can't remember the last time I had a genuine Boston Cooler -- Vernor's ginger ale poured into a tall glass over vanilla ice cream -- which actually originated in Detroit ... yeah!!! I usually make them with strawberry ice cream or with raspberry sorbet; either of these makes for an exceptionally good time on a hot day. You get to eat some ice cream, and have a cold drink as well, with only one glass to wash ... gotta love it!
But we had some Breyer's peach ice cream in the freezer -- very few ingredients, no corn syrup, huge chunks of peaches ... it's like the old-fashioned hand-cranked stuff that people in my parents' generation always talk about with loving nostalgia. And so, I had a vision of brilliance: buy some Vernor's (since we don't usually keep soda in the house) and try a new variation on the theme.
So here is one of the easiest recipes ever, and also one of the most delicious and refreshing. I'm pretty proud of myself for thinking of this, even if it isn't necessarily the most inspired or impressive thing I've ever offered. It's hot out -- you want a cold drink, you want to eat some ice cream ... this will make you happy ... :)
Peach Ice Cream Cooler
8 generous scoops Breyer's peach ice cream
1 2-liter bottle of Vernor's ginger ale (if you can get it)
Take 4 tall glasses. Put 2 scoops of ice cream into each glass. Slowly pour ginger ale over the ice cream, being careful not to have the head spill over the edge. Add a straw and a spoon, and enjoy!
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- ► 2011 (259)
- Spice Girl
- Entertainment for an Insomniac
- Eat, Drink and Be Mary
- Tag -- I'm It!
- Wordless Wednesday -- An Absolute Truth from a BBQ...
- Teaser Tuesdays: Tantalizing Tastes
- Music Monday: The Disco Biscuits
- Chocolate 'n' Coffee, Coffee 'n' Chocolate
- Thursday 13 -- Kitchen Stuff and Nonsense
- Wordless Wednesday -- I Am Just Endlessly Amused b...
- Elvis Muffins
- "And the Angel Said Unto Them ...."
- Summertime, and the Dining is Easy
- Dining \'aut\ with Friends
- Wordless Wednesday -- My Late Grandmother's Cherry...
- Quesadillas Italiana
- Hoarding, Camping, Cleaning, Eating ... Monday at ...
- Smile -- It's Saturday!
- Roasted Radish Review
- Something Old, Something New
- 30 Things I Vowed to Do This Summer (and How Littl...
- One Versatile Blogger's Lovely Blog ... Awwww, Shu...
- The Gift of Food
- Getting to Know Me
- ▼ August (24)