We all know of Elvis Presley's affinity for peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I make a pretty mean version of that -- spread some honey on the bread first, then some peanut butter, then a mashed banana; put it all together, spread butter on the outside of the bread, and fry it up like a grilled cheese sandwich.
Warm, gooey, sweet, with just a little bit of protein to delude a girl into thinking that it will balance out the carbs and sugars -- ha!!! Jeremy loves them ... LOVES them. I haven't made these for a long, long time; I might have to indulge him, to make up for the extra hours at work these days. Yes, I can buy his affection with food.
One of the ways that I cope with stress is to cook and to bake. Other people rely upon drive-thrus and take-out when life gets busy; I decompress in the kitchen. And the other day, I had some bananas to use up. But instead of making plain ol' banana bread, I made Elvis Muffins.
I'm sure you can already guess the primary ingredients in these beauties: peanut butter and banana. But there's whole wheat flour to make them more nutritious, and a sprinkling of honey-roasted peanuts on top "just 'cause."
They're easy to make, they were apparently quite the hit with Tom's co-workers when he brought some in to share, and the house smells amazing as they bake. These muffins are just "A Big Hunk o' Love."
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 medium bananas, mashed
1 cup unbleached white flour
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup honey-roasted peanuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350F. Fill a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
In a large bowl, combine the butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar. Stir in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the bananas. Add the white flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix well. Divide batter among the lined cups. Sprinkle tops of muffins with the chopped peanuts.
Bake for 25 minutes or so, until a tester comes out clean.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- ► 2012 (229)
- ► 2011 (258)
- Spice Girl
- Entertainment for an Insomniac
- Eat, Drink and Be Mary
- Tag -- I'm It!
- Wordless Wednesday -- An Absolute Truth from a BBQ...
- Teaser Tuesdays: Tantalizing Tastes
- Music Monday: The Disco Biscuits
- Chocolate 'n' Coffee, Coffee 'n' Chocolate
- Thursday 13 -- Kitchen Stuff and Nonsense
- Wordless Wednesday -- I Am Just Endlessly Amused b...
- Elvis Muffins
- "And the Angel Said Unto Them ...."
- Summertime, and the Dining is Easy
- Dining \'aut\ with Friends
- Wordless Wednesday -- My Late Grandmother's Cherry...
- Quesadillas Italiana
- Hoarding, Camping, Cleaning, Eating ... Monday at ...
- Smile -- It's Saturday!
- Roasted Radish Review
- Something Old, Something New
- 30 Things I Vowed to Do This Summer (and How Littl...
- One Versatile Blogger's Lovely Blog ... Awwww, Shu...
- The Gift of Food
- Getting to Know Me
- ▼ August (24)