Thursday, April 14, 2011

Triple Onion Salsa


I needed a quick dinner the other night between coming home from work and going out for the evening; so I relied upon frozen Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean Burger patties and glamourized them a bit with toppings.

A quick saute of some simple and inexpensive ingredients, and voila! A nutritious, substantial dinner magically appeared before my hungry eyes. I topped the burger with a homemade salsa, lots of grated cheese (simply because there's no reason to be stingy with cheese!), and some sour cream. Corn chips would have made a perfect side dish if I'd had any ....

Triple Onion Salsa

1 tablespoon oil
1 small red onion, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 scallions, chopped
pinch of red pepper flakes
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon taco seasoning
1 cup diced tomatoes with chilis

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add all of the onions, the red pepper flakes and the salt; cook until translucent. Add the chili powder, taco seasoning and tomatoes; cook until liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Place on top of vegetarian or meat burgers, chicken, pork ... whatever strikes your fancy!

8 comments:

Miriam said...

You're a genius Mary! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Candace said...

I've got pinto beans cooking right now for the bean burgers that I've been craving. This will be perfect for the top of them. Thanks Mary!! Have a fabulous day, sweet friend!

Unknown said...

I am pretty sure I could end up loving this :)

Karen Harris said...

What an easy and delicious sounding salsa! Have a great weekend Mary.

Unknown said...

awesome. this looks like an easy, tasty salsa!

Cranberry Morning said...

Looks delicious, Mary. Onions are definitely a staple item around here. Must have onions and peppers on hand at all time!

Team Chastain said...

That looks DELISH! There are a few items from Morningstar Farms that I REALLY like...esp. their fake bacon! :) I put it in a pan with a teeny spray of oil, and then sprinkle the tiniest amount of kosher salt over it, and fry it til it's crispy. Yum!
I am going to give your salsa a try this weekend...thanks! :)

BuyAionAccount said...

I would love the smell of this one, this could do as a pizza sauce too! A hot and spicy one!

Buy Aion Account


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?