Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Big News!!!

This past weekend, I moved out of the apartment I've been staying at since the end of January, the one with the kosher vegetarian kitchen. It was a resting place I am so enormously grateful for that I cannot fully express it!!! And it will be wonderful to have my snowbirding friend back in town soon, so I can give her a huge hug to thank her for her generosity and hospitality when I was so desperately in need of a sanctuary at which to regroup from some significant chaos in my personal life.

I had the past two days' posts ready to go beforehand, such that the hauling and schlepping in my real life wasn't apparent in cyberspace. But I'm still settling in, and have a special event to attend tonight at which a good friend is being honored (thus taking away typing time). So I'm going to take the rest of the week off from ye olde blog. I'll be back on Monday, or at least that's my plan.

The new place is a summer sublet, so there's still not a full sense of "home" but it will be more mine than anything I've had for the past 6 months. And just look at the beautiful, thoughtful hand-picked floral arrangement that my new landlady, Carol, and her daughter Tatiana left at my doorstep to greet me! Here's a close-up of the very sweet message on the notecard:


Now, since this is MY kitchen, it's neither vegetarian nor kosher; it's not raw, it's not gluten- or dairy-free ... it has no political, religious or dietary agenda. I'll be able to cook anything I want to!!!

So look forward to a fabulous Cajun sausage and rice recipe adapted from the late, great Justin Wilson ... some sort of dish prepared with handmade traditional chorizo, available at a Latin market near the new homestead ... a notion I had for a pasta dish with shrimp and fennel ... a possible attempt at a Reuben pierogi, per Jeremy's suggestion ... a Vietnamese caramelized pork dish ... budget-defying meals made with sale items and Manager's Specials (those items on the verge of passing their "sell by" date which are still good but are deeply discounted) ... and even still some traditional Jewish/kosher foods and some vegetarian options. Remember -- I'm not just a carnivore, I'm an omnivore!!!

15 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

Good for you. I wish you all the best.

Unknown said...

I used to love watching Justin Wilson's show! Enjoy your time off!

Candace said...

Congratulations on your new "nest"!! I'm so excited for you to have a kitchen where you can let your proverbial hair down and dazzle us with all sorts of fabulousness involving whatever strikes your fancy. I can feel the energy from here. Fun fun fun! Enjoy your week off, sweet friend. We will be here ready and waiting when you return. *hugs*

Team Chastain said...

I remember Justin Wilson...he was fun to watch! Glad you have a place for the summer with a 'no holds barred' kitchen. :)

Unknown said...

YAY!!! I'm so happy for you Mary! I know it's not home home, but it's definitely home. And to be able to make whatever you want again in your kitchen.....WOOT WOOT!!! :) Take care moving!! If I was closer I'd definitely offer to help!

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Well have a great time in that new kitchen!! And a great rest of the week :) Sounds like you definitely wil!

Karen Harris said...

Woohoo! Your carefree kitchen life is back on. Can't wait to see all the recipes you cook up.

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

Congrats on your new summer home! What a relief it must be to have free reign in the kitchen where you live. It's apparent that you appreciated the refuge more than anyone could measure, but I'm not sure I would have lasted 6 months! LOL

I'm looking forward to all the great food you plan to make! The flowers and welcome note are just the sweetest thing! What a lovely landlady! (her daughter too!)

Have fun settling in...
~Mrs B

Miriam said...

You're awesome Mary, have fun in YOUR kitchen :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Cranberry Morning said...

Congratulations, Mary. I can see it now: 'Kitchen Gone Wild.' Have fun and enjoy your new digs. :-)

Keri said...

hey, congrats on the move and the freedom kitchen being open for business. maybe now you'll put on a few lbs.

so, my blogger blogs have been suspended because they think it's spam. i'm trying to start over on wordpress and could use your support so come visit and read today's post, it's important info that you probably already know. but I didn't.

have a great week remaining, keri

Leanne said...

Ooooo - congratulations on your wonderful new semi-perm pad! Can't even begin to imagine the yummies being more yummier than they have been in recent months! Wishing you a wonderful week, my dear dear friend.

Unknown said...

congrats on the new place! what cute flowers :)

Sarah Knight said...

Congrats on the new digs!
And I'm sure whatever you cook there will be fabulous!
Have a Happy Mother's Day!

From the best Typing Test said...

There is nothing like a new kitchen.


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?