Monday, May 2, 2011
I had planned to make some lovely glazed lemon muffins with a dab of homemade plum jam in the middle, but I never managed to get around to it ... ah, such is life. I've got a pretty long list of things I'd like to make, should've made, wish I'd made; just one more item to jot down.
A very good friend had given me a half-dozen enormous plums, sharing some of the exceptionally generous bounty he'd been given by a colleague. They were fabulous all on their own, of course; but you know me -- always gotta tinker, always gotta make something, always gotta be cookin'. And jam is easy, so that's usually my first thought when I have extra fruit.
So the first order of business was to make the jam, or else there'd have been nothing to put into the muffins (since I didn't know at the time that there'd be no muffins to put the jam into!). I just chopped the fruit, added some sugar, and I added a splash of red wine (Sangiovese, the same type I'd sampled at the recent wine tasting) to give it a little extra depth. I never bother with pectin, I just cook it all down 'til it's thick.
So now I'm ready to make a PB&J ... or to make those lemon muffins, should another craving strike!
2 very large plums, pitted, chopped into 1/2" dice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup red wine
Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan.
Heat over medium-high heat until mixture reaches a boil. Stir occasionally at first, then as it starts to thicken and the fruit starts to soften you need to stir frequently and press upon the fruit to mash it.
Cook for 45 minutes or so until the consistency of jam.
Place into a covered container and refrigerate until cool.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- ► 2012 (229)
- It's Not Green Eggs and Ham, It's Green Sausage!
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberries
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Marcano's Take-Out
- Berries with Sweetened Sour Cream
- Curried Rhubarb Chicken
- Teaser Tuesdays: I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti...
- Vietnamese Caramelized Pork with Shredded Cabbage
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Good Girls Go To Paris
- Spinach Feta Pizza
- National Cheese Souffle Day
- Edible Avalon
- Jeremy's Favorite Scrambled Eggs
- Versatile Blogging
- I Gar-on-TEE, You'll Love This Cajun Sausage Dish!...
- Mushroom Spinach Pita Sandwiches
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Muffins
- Welcome Home!!!
- Big News!!!
- Kinda Like Old Times
- Plum Jam
- ▼ May (20)