Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Burek (Spiced Beef Egg Rolls)


I'm working on a review of the lovely cookbook Ma Baseema: Middle Eastern Cooking with Chaldean Flair for the Washtenaw Jewish News. So, of course, I have to cook a number of recipes from it - just doing my due diligence!

The problem with this mission is that there are so, so many recipes that I want to prepare. But since Chanukkah began last Tuesday and doesn't end until tonight, a recipe using oil only seemed fitting for continued festivities.

And so I looked for a recipe that would not only let me try a new treat, but one which would also be easy to make in the midst of my various holiday preparations. How fabulous, then, to make Beef Egg Rolls from the Iraqi Christian culinary tradition and serve them for a Jewish celebration!

The original recipe didn't call for the allspice, but I thought it would make a really nice addition to the ground beef filling, both for flavor and fragrance. And I was right, I'm happy to say! Jeremy and I devoured these, hot and crisp and delicious as they were freshly fried.


Spiced Beef Egg Rolls
(Slightly adapted from a recipe for Burek by Margaret Butti)

3/4 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
kosher salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon allspice
4 tablespoons chopped parsley
3 cups oil, for frying
10 spring roll wrappers

In a large skillet, brown the beef; drain, then add the onion, salt, pepper, allspice and parsley. Cook until the onion is translucent, then place mixture into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until cold.

In a medium saucepan, heat the oil until very hot.

Meanwhile, prepare the egg rolls: lay one wrapper onto a countertop. Place <1/4 cup beef filling onto the center of the wrapper.


Fold the sides over the filling.


Roll the edge closest to you over once.


Fold the portion of dough closest to you over the filling, then roll up the rest of the way. Brush the last portion of dough with a bit of water to help it adhere when the egg roll is fully rolled. Continue with the remaining wrappers and filling.


Cook 3-4 egg rolls at a time for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel, continuing until all of the egg rolls are cooked.

Makes 10 egg rolls.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never turned down an egg roll before... and I would definitely not start with these.. OMG, they sounds AMAZING!!!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I don't see how this could be anything other than delicious!! Allspice with ground beef is divine. Excellent choice!

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

Oh Yumm! I haven't made anything with wonton or spring roll wrappers in ages and this looks like the perfect recipe for me to get back to it! My mouth is literally watering...

The addition of the allspice to the filling is a stroke of culinary genius, but then that doesn't surprise me coming from you, my friend!

Blessings to you on the final night of this wonderful Festival of Lights, Mary! I can't wait to see what's on the menu for New Years Eve!

Miriam said...

Happy Holidays :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Chris said...

Multicutural egg rolls, love it!

Candace said...

I could eat a plate of these. all.by.myself.


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?