Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Kale with Pistachios
Kale is one of the most nutritious vegetables; it offers beta carotene, vitamins K and C, lutein, and calcium, in addition to many anti-cancer properties. It's also a gorgeous bright green, decorating the dinner plate and enhancing virtually any entree.
I was given an entire shopping bag full of kale recently, which was very generous. But kale doesn't cook down and wilt the way spinach does, so this really was a lot of vegetable to deal with. Fortunately, I like kale and I like to cook! I started with a simple side dish, because it was easy to make after a long day at work. But there are many, many ways to enjoy this amazing health booster!
My friend Diana Dyer, who grows many varieties of fabulous garlic and is my only source for garlic scapes, has a blog devoted entirely to kale and its wonders: 365 Days of Kale. Diana is a registered dietician and cancer survivor who offers health information, wit, wisdom, humor and recipes on her blog. I'm going to have to see what goodies she offers, so that I can plow through the abundance of beautiful kale currently taking up my kitchen counter!
In the recipe below, the kale is vivid and just slightly tender. It doesn't need added salt, as the pistachios provide just enough while also adding a bit of texture and crunch. This seems so simple, but it's really good!
Kale with Pistachios
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
3 cups chopped kale, stems removed
3 tablespoons chopped pistachios
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add kale and saute for 2 minutes; cover and cook for 5 minutes until tender and bright green.
Sprinkle pistachios over the kale.
Serves 2-4 as a side dish.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- The Tale of the Failed Macaroons
- Remembering Julia Child with the Culinary Historia...
- "The Kosher King of Ann Arbor"
- Orange Pomegranate Iced Tea
- Frugal Floozie Friday: Revive
- Victoria Sponge Cake
- Raja Rani for Mother's Day
- National Vanilla Pudding Day
- Pan-Fried Spaghetti with Olives, Tomatoes, and Swi...
- Frugal Floozie Friday: Iorio's Gelateria
- The Glass Pavilion at The Toledo Museum of Art
- Man v. Food Happy Birthday Nachos
- Chocolate Chip Macaroon Muffins
- National Buttermilk Biscuit Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Banfield's Westside Grill
- Pasta ca Sucu Fintu (Pasta with Fake Meat Sauce)
- Beard Awards Blathering
- Pomegranate-Glazed Sweet Potato Spears
- Almondina Crunch Coffee Cake
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Afternoon Delight Cafe
- Double BBQ Chicken
- Kale with Pistachios
- Provencal Peppers
- ▼ May (23)
- ► 2011 (258)