Friday, May 3, 2013
Frugal Floozie Friday - Gabriel's Cheesesteak Hoagies
When I first met Mary Catherine Smith, the fabulous host of "Brazilian Sol" on WEMU (Saturdays at 9 p.m.), she recommended Gabriel's Cheese Steak Hoagies as a great place to visit for my Frugal Floozie Friday column: good, honest food served for good, honest prices.
Well, it's taken awhile to get there, but Craig and I had lunch at Gabriel's recently and it definitely proved to be a tremendous value!
It's easy to stay within our mandatory $5 per person budget, with hearty sandwiches that are readily split. Costing just over $5 each, you can supplement your half with a bag of chips and a cookie to make a complete comfort food meal and still stay within our financial limits.
The menu is small, focusing on what the shop does well. You can order a cheesesteak hoagie, a steak hoagie, a Lunchmeat Special, or a ham and cheese sandwich. Prices range from $5.14-$5.54, with extras (cheese, mushrooms, peppers, or Provolone) costing anywhere from 20-69 cents to add on. A bag of chips will set you back a whopping 89 cents.
A small, quaint, tremendously friendly diner, Gabriel's is welcoming to everyone but vegetarians - there aren't any options for you beyond the Garden Salad for $3.49.
But carnivores can celebrate at Gabriel's for not much money!
Gabriel's Cheesesteak Hoagies
2585 East Michigan Avenue
Ypsilanti, MI 48198
Monday-Saturday: 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m. - 9 p.m.
View Larger Map
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Uptown Coney Island
- Wordless Wednesday - Thrift Shop Find
- Memorial Day Dishes
- Frugal Floozie Friday - NeoPapalis
- Goin' to "Jail" and Need to Make Bail!
- Banana Cheesecake Egg Rolls
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Cardamom
- Memphis in May Tribute - Good Luck to "Too Sauced ...
- Penne and Peas in Swiss-Almond Cream Sauce
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Jefferson Market and Caker...
- An Adorable Little Teapot
- Chocolate Chip Pancake Cookies
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Gabriel's Cheesesteak Hoag...
- Musings on My Week as a Vegetarian
- ▼ May (14)
- ► 2012 (229)
- ► 2011 (259)