This is only the third installment of Frugal Floozie Friday, and already I think it's probably going to be the deal to beat!
This week's venture took Jeremy and me to B-24's Espresso Bar, which is also a soup/sandwich shop and ice cream parlor, not to mention just being a comfortable place to hang out and chitchat or read or "coffice" (coffee + office).
B-24's serves hot fudge sundaes made with Sanders hot fudge. If you've spent any time in Michigan, you know that this Detroit-made product is so supreme, so rich, so luscious, that you will never want to eat any other brand. I'm serious -- give me a jar of the Milk Chocolate variety (which has a hint of a caramel flavor to it), a spoon, and some privacy ... doesn't take much more to make me happy in this life!
My maternal grandmother would come to visit us in NYC when I was growing up, and always brought some of this with her. Truly, I cannot tell you how much I adore it, both on its own merits and because of the memories. So already, I had to love a place that served this beloved Michigan product.
That they serve the hot fudge over two scoops of ice cream only makes it better.
That they top it off with a slew of whipped cream and a cherry only enhances it.
But that B-24's serves this enormous quantity of coma-inducing lusciousness for only $3.99 -- $3.99!!! -- makes it perfection ... :)
This is a feast that one could, theoretically, eat by oneself ... Jeremy did it, after all. (20-year-old males excel at such tasks!) But it's really perfect to share with someone you love -- a cheap date, but of the most romantic kind.
So, not only did we stay within the $5/person budget that Frugal Floozie Friday requires; but this is something you can actually feed TWO people with for that $5 bill! Really, does it get any better than that???
Actually, it can: go on Friday nights from 7:30 - 9:30 p.m., and enjoy performances by local talents at Open Mic Night. (I'm trying to persuade Jeremy to bring his guitar down there and perform, with or without one of his buddies.)
Coffee is provided by area roasters: Mighty Good and Roos Roast from Ann Arbor, and Chazzano from nearby Ferndale. Michigan-made Faygo sodas and Vernor's ginger ale are displayed proudly in the cooler.
And the very name of the shop is a tribute to the B-24 airplanes that were manufactured at the nearby Willow Run Airport, which produced nearly 8700 of the bombers during World War II.
B-24's celebrates all the very best that this area has to offer!
B-24's Espresso Bar
217 West Michigan Avenue
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Frugal Floozie Friday: Food and Fun for Five Dollars or Less ... Really!!!
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Baked Tilapia with Smoked Salmon Spread
- A Simple Chopped Salad
- Vanilla Cakes with Caramelized Bananas
- "Never Out of Mustard"
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Schakolad Chocolate Facto...
- National Pecan Sandies Day
- Garlic Scape Season Has Arrived!
- National Peaches 'n' Cream Day
- Sausage Meatball and Roasted Pepper Stew
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Ypsilanti Food Co-Op
- Banbury Cakes for Bloomsday
- Roasted Tomatoes with Blue Cheese
- National Strawberry Shortcake Day
- High Blood Pressure? Me?!?!?
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Zingerman's Roadhouse
- Tomato Salad with Pepperoni and Sweet Pepper
- A New Award and a Newfangled Chicken Salad
- "Fried" Ice Cream Torah Scrolls
- Lemon-Glazed Blueberry Scones
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- B-24's Espresso Bar
- Berries in Cranberry-Wine Gelatin
- Pasta "Rags" with Fennel, Mushrooms and Spinach
- ▼ June (22)