Thursday, June 9, 2011
Tomato Salad with Pepperoni and Sweet Pepper
This is an odd little dish -- a little cold, a little hot, very colorful and immensely flavorful. It just sorta came to me, so I put it together and ate it for lunch one day. It's been in the 90s here all week, so something light was definitely needed!
I debated whether to cook the tomato or whether to leave the pepper raw, so that each would match the other; but somehow sautéeing the pepper with some bits of pepperoni, then serving it over the sliced tomato, just struck my fancy.
And sometimes, that's all it takes ....
Tomato Salad with Sautéed Yellow Pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 small yellow pepper, chopped
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup finely diced pepperoni
2 tablespoons pesto
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the red pepper flakes and garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add the onion and pepper; cook until vegetables are softening, about 5 minutes. Add wine and cook until it is absorbed. Add the pepperoni and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the pesto.
Place the tomato wedges in a dish or on a plate, and top with the vegetable mixture.
Note: I used Flip Flop Wines Riesling, which had been sent to me for tasting/cooking purposes.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Baked Tilapia with Smoked Salmon Spread
- A Simple Chopped Salad
- Vanilla Cakes with Caramelized Bananas
- "Never Out of Mustard"
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Schakolad Chocolate Facto...
- National Pecan Sandies Day
- Garlic Scape Season Has Arrived!
- National Peaches 'n' Cream Day
- Sausage Meatball and Roasted Pepper Stew
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Ypsilanti Food Co-Op
- Banbury Cakes for Bloomsday
- Roasted Tomatoes with Blue Cheese
- National Strawberry Shortcake Day
- High Blood Pressure? Me?!?!?
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Zingerman's Roadhouse
- Tomato Salad with Pepperoni and Sweet Pepper
- A New Award and a Newfangled Chicken Salad
- "Fried" Ice Cream Torah Scrolls
- Lemon-Glazed Blueberry Scones
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- B-24's Espresso Bar
- Berries in Cranberry-Wine Gelatin
- Pasta "Rags" with Fennel, Mushrooms and Spinach
- ▼ June (22)