Wednesday, June 29, 2011
A Simple Chopped Salad
I engaged in an internal debate over whether to even bother posting this recipe; it's almost too ridiculously simple to seem worth it. And yet, why not offer something easy, something nutritious that can be tossed together quickly at the end of a long day with no forethought?
Not only is this salad delicious in its pure simplicity, and not only is it gorgeous with all those vibrant colors; but it is also ideal for picnics, as it has no mayonnaise to spoil and no lettuce to wilt.
It's easy to make, and could even have some fresh herbs tossed into it for variation on the theme.
And so, in all its colorful glory, here is my Simple Chopped Salad -- actually, now that I think about it, a perfect offering with farmers' markets being held today, tomorrow and Saturday in Ann Arbor and also on Saturday in Ypsi.
Simple Chopped Salad
1/2 cup each chopped yellow, red and orange pepper
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped tomato
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
sprinkling of kosher salt
generous sprinkling of freshly ground pepper
Combine all of the vegetables in a medium bowl. Squeeze the lemon over the vegetables, then drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper, then stir together and serve.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Baked Tilapia with Smoked Salmon Spread
- A Simple Chopped Salad
- Vanilla Cakes with Caramelized Bananas
- "Never Out of Mustard"
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Schakolad Chocolate Facto...
- National Pecan Sandies Day
- Garlic Scape Season Has Arrived!
- National Peaches 'n' Cream Day
- Sausage Meatball and Roasted Pepper Stew
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Ypsilanti Food Co-Op
- Banbury Cakes for Bloomsday
- Roasted Tomatoes with Blue Cheese
- National Strawberry Shortcake Day
- High Blood Pressure? Me?!?!?
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Zingerman's Roadhouse
- Tomato Salad with Pepperoni and Sweet Pepper
- A New Award and a Newfangled Chicken Salad
- "Fried" Ice Cream Torah Scrolls
- Lemon-Glazed Blueberry Scones
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- B-24's Espresso Bar
- Berries in Cranberry-Wine Gelatin
- Pasta "Rags" with Fennel, Mushrooms and Spinach
- ▼ June (22)