Friday, January 20, 2012

Frugal Floozie Friday -- Tower Inn Cafe

My BFF Wendy and I ate a great dinner recently, at a place that she's been to numerous times but I hadn't been to in ages. Today's Frugal Floozie Friday feature is the Tower Inn Cafe, an Ypsilanti institution.

There is an extensive menu of appetizers, pizzas, pastas, sandwiches, salads and burgers ... needless to say, it took a bit of time to decide among all the fabulous options. Each of us ordered something that could be readily split and shared, and which could come in at $5 or less per person to meet our mandatory budget.

The Parthenon-Greco pizza featured garlic, herbs, gyro meat, yellow peppers, feta cheese and Kalamata olives ... sigh. The small pizza cost $10.99; it's 10" in diameter, so the servings are very generous even if shared with three others to bring it within our Frugal Floozie Friday budget. It was rich, salta, zesty, and exceptionally good.

The Spinach Pie Bourekitos, for $7.99, were flaky and delicate; they also came with a lovely rice side dish featuring spinach and herbs for flavor.

And then there was dessert:



For $3.99, Wendy chose the Snickers cheesecake and I was fortunate enough to snag the very last piece of the Oreo variety. Rich, creamy, and utterly decadent, these were so incredibly good, and a perfect way to end our meal.

The Cafe has a wide range of options for Frugal Floozie Friday or for any time. As the owner, Rois Savvides, writes in a note on the menu: "Our food is made with tons of love and we are trying to win your hearts as well, every day."

Tower Inn has, indeed, won Wendy's and my hearts.


Tower Inn Cafe
701 W Cross St
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
734-487-4000


View Larger Map


Tower Inn Cafe on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

What?! And dessert as well?? I want that those little spinach pie packets. They look amazing! And the pizza? all my favorite ingredients. Looks like you've found my favorite restaurant, Mary.

Unknown said...

I know it does sound as good as Frugal Floozie Friday, but you really should rename these posts: Teasing Floozie Friday! You are always tempting and teasing me with these things I cannot get living so far away!!!

Life Happens said...

I would skip the main course and go straight to dessert! What a yummy looking dinner for so cheap!

Miriam said...

Oh, yummy!! I love spinach pie pockets!! You always know the good places to go :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

It's 4:30 in the afternoon, I've had nothing to eat today and I'm literally drooling on my keyboard. (Well, almost) The pastry on those pies looks so crisp and flaky! And don't even get me started on that pizza...

I have to concur with Jenn. I'm seriously considering booking a flight to Michigan as we speak! Yummm!

Candace said...

You have once again teased and tantalized me with your food descriptions. The pizza, the spinach pie pockets, the desserts....magnifico!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?