Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Peanut Butter Pudding for National Peanut Butter Day


It's National Peanut Butter Day, which is different than National Peanut Butter Lovers' Day and National Peanut Butter Cookie Day.   Don't worry - there's enough love for peanut butter to cover every one of these celebrations!

Today I'm offering a luscious, creamy pudding to show case the fabulous flavor of the star ingredient.  And who could go wrong by adding a bit of chocolate as a garnish?  Especially when the chocolate comes in the form of Reese's peanut butter cups!

Whether you enjoy this rich dessert, an Elvis peanut butter and banana sandwich, some Asian noodles in peanut sauce, or some other dish, just be sure not to miss the party today!

Here are some other recipes for your festivities:

Peanut Butter Milkshakes

Fluffernutter Cupcakes

Peanut Butter Pancakes

Peanut Butter No-Bake Treats

Elvis Muffins

Peanut Butter Pie


Peanut Butter Pudding

2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup brown sugar
pinch of kosher salt
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup half-and-half
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 Reese's peanut butter cups, halved
whipped cream

In a 1-quart saucepan, combine cornstarch, brown sugar, salt and water; cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until it becomes translucent and gelatinous.  Lower heat to medium.  Slowly whisk in the half-and-half.  Stir in egg and vanilla and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter.

Divide the pudding among 4 small dessert cups, then cover with plastic wrap.  Let cool completely in the refrigerator.

To serve, top with whipped cream and garnish each with half of a peanut butter cup.

Serves 4.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Uhhmmm.. yea, I'd like one of ... wait... make that two of everything listed on this post. Better triple up on the pudding though!! YUM!!

Diane said...

That looks so lovely. I didn't even though there was a national peanut butter day - you really do learn something new every day :)

Nicole said...

Holy Moly! Yenta Mary - you are killing me!

Unknown said...

I didn't know that it's national peanut butter day. I think Jacob will be getting a fluffernutter for dinner.

The puddings look great. I've never seen a Moroccan tea set used in such a way. I imagine that my grandmother would flip :-)

Back to the "days" thing you so often blog about (it's a great theme and manner to generate topics for dishes), do you have a list of the official "days" of food? More importantly, have you ever considered posting or linking to it from your site?

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh yeah, I totally believe there's enough love of peanut butter for as many holidays as they want to have! I ate peanut butter every day of my life for many years. This looks delicious. I really hope I don't make it. lol

Chris said...

Now THAT is a thing of beauty!

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

OMG I didn't know this and what is too funny is yesterday AND today I was craving peanut butter (which I am NOT supposed to have because it is AWFUL for kidney stones) but I had some anyway! Now you are making me want more lol


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?