Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fluffernutter Cupcakes


This Saturday is National Fluffernutter Day. I've never been a fan of the famous sandwich, I have to admit; so I determined to make a treat that honored the coupling of peanut butter and marshmallow, but without actually spreading the two onto pieces of bread.

So I baked some moist peanut butter cupcakes, which are wonderful for any occasion at any time of year; these have a great distinctive flavor, rather than only a bland hint of the key ingredient. And then I took a basic vanilla frosting and mixed some marshmallow creme into it.

These treats are non-dairy, since I brought them in to work and one of my co-workers is allergic to milk products. You could easily substitute butter and half-and-half, if food intolerances are not a concern.

But whether you can eat dairy products or not, or whether you like Fluffernutter sandwiches or not, these cupcakes are exceptionally good. My co-workers raved about them, which made me very happy. And I devoured two of them all by myself, so I can personally vouch for them!

Fluffernutter Cupcakes

Cupcakes:
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Wip non-dairy cream substitute
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350F. Place paper liners into a 12-cup muffin tin.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the shortening, peanut butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla and Wip. Stir in the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; combine well.

Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool completely on a rack.

Frosting:
1 16-ounce container vanilla frosting
1 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme

Combine frosting and marshmallow; spread onto cupcakes.

Makes 12 cupcakes.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am not ashamed to admit that I ate a lot of Fluffernutters when I was in college. Not because it was cheap necessarily, but because I could.... I lived on my own... no parents to tell me I could not!! lol

LOVE the idea of making them into cupcakes.... and it's finally starting to cool down here... maybe... just maybe... I'll be able to bake soon without turning our house into a hot box!!

Miriam said...

Love cupcakes!!! Well done :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters
P.S. I never knew there was a national Fluffernutter day...go figure. :)

WlZ said...

As a true connoisseur of each, I can not imagine a better combo than topping peanut butter cupcakes with fluffernutter frosting! I'll take a couple dozen, please!

Paloma said...

That looks soooo good!!! I'll have to try it! Thanks for Linking Up today on our Sweet Thursdays! http://love4coffee.blogspot.com


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?