Wednesday, October 5, 2011
This Saturday is National Fluffernutter Day. I've never been a fan of the famous sandwich, I have to admit; so I determined to make a treat that honored the coupling of peanut butter and marshmallow, but without actually spreading the two onto pieces of bread.
So I baked some moist peanut butter cupcakes, which are wonderful for any occasion at any time of year; these have a great distinctive flavor, rather than only a bland hint of the key ingredient. And then I took a basic vanilla frosting and mixed some marshmallow creme into it.
These treats are non-dairy, since I brought them in to work and one of my co-workers is allergic to milk products. You could easily substitute butter and half-and-half, if food intolerances are not a concern.
But whether you can eat dairy products or not, or whether you like Fluffernutter sandwiches or not, these cupcakes are exceptionally good. My co-workers raved about them, which made me very happy. And I devoured two of them all by myself, so I can personally vouch for them!
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Wip non-dairy cream substitute
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 350F. Place paper liners into a 12-cup muffin tin.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the shortening, peanut butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla and Wip. Stir in the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; combine well.
Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool completely on a rack.
1 16-ounce container vanilla frosting
1 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme
Combine frosting and marshmallow; spread onto cupcakes.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Hallowe'en Treats for the Grown-Ups
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Great Plains Burger
- Indiana Cream Pie for the Purdue Game
- Hillary Clinton's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Grandpuppy Treats
- Gorgonzola Polenta with Spicy Vegetables
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Sabor Latino
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
- Pepper-Onion Dip for the World Series
- Cranberry Bran Muffins with Orange Marmalade Butte...
- The Grub Crawl
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- The Ugly Mug
- Greek Spinach Dip for the Michigan-Michigan State ...
- Harvest Stew
- Mini Peanut Butter Milkshakes
- Parmesan Puffs
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Chicago Reds
- Italian Beef Sandwiches for the Northwestern Game
- Fluffernutter Cupcakes
- Brown Sugar Tea Cake with Moscato Glaze
- Kale and Peppers in Red Wine Sauce
- ▼ October (21)