Thursday, October 27, 2011

Indiana Cream Pie for the Purdue Game


Hoosier Pie, Cream Pie, Sugar Pie ... whatever you call it, it's still the same sweet, luscious treat. A rose, as they say, by any other name ....

Since Michigan is playing Purdue this weekend, it was only fitting to make a traditional treat from the state of Indiana. Pie needs no occasion - it's always welcome. But it's a great thing to serve while tailgating or even just watching the game at home.

This recipe is going to seem ridiculously ordinary; trust me, it is rich and luscious, utterly decadent. That it's so easy to make with such simple ingredients only adds to its charm.

Because the pie is kinda beige, I spiffed it up a bit by decorating the crust with colored "leaves" made of leftover dough (instructions below). But this is completely unecessary; the pie is perfectly capable of shining with its flavor alone.

Purdue at Michigan (Homecoming)
Saturday, October 29 at 12 p.m.
GO BLUE!!!


Indiana Cream Pie
(slightly modified from Marcia Adams' recipe for Velvet Custard Pie in Cooking from Quilt Country)

1 9" pie crust
1-3/4 cups half-and-half
3/4 cup skim milk
4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of kosher salt
pinch of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350F. Place the pie crust into a pan. With a knife, trim the excess dough.

In a medium saucepan, bring the half-and-half and milk just to a boil.

Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Slowly whisk in the milk, then pour the custard into the prepared pie crust. Sprinkle top of pie with just a pinch of nutmeg.

Bake for 45 minutes until the pie just wiggles slightly when jostled gently. Let cool completely, then refrigerate.

To decorate pie crust:

Roll out trimmings from the pie crust, not too thin. Cut 1-1/2" leaf shapes, then use the knife to make markings upon each one.


Combine 1 drop of food coloring with 1 tablespoon of water; use this to paint the leaves.

Rub a bit of corn syrup onto the pie crust, then lay the leaves onto it in a decorative pattern.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very creative with the leaves.. Love how they look! And the pie... well, I'd probably sit down and eat the whole thing in one sitting!! And I would only feel guilty for like 5 minutes :)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

The leaves on the crust are so pretty! I love it :) LOL You SHOULD have decorated the crust with big blue & gold M's, just to rub it into the Prudue pie that BLUE will triumph. But the leaves are cute too LOL :) Being a Lansing girl I HAVE to say GO GREEN!!!! (ducks out of the way as you throw stuff at my comment) :)

Candace said...

I cannot imagine that this pie would need any adornment and I'm sure that it wouldn't last long in my house. Having said that, those are the cutest leaves!

Collette Osuna said...

Looks like a yummy pie...ilive in Michigan too!!! Ill put this on my must "make" list:0

Enter my Shabby Apple FAB Frock Giveaway!!

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

I do love me a custard pie! Nice job with the leaves. Very pretty. I might just have to add this to my dessert list for Thanksgiving!

XOXO,
Mrs B

Miriam said...

Love this! And the simplest food is always the most delcious, I am convinced. :)
Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?