Thursday, October 27, 2011
Indiana Cream Pie for the Purdue Game
Hoosier Pie, Cream Pie, Sugar Pie ... whatever you call it, it's still the same sweet, luscious treat. A rose, as they say, by any other name ....
Since Michigan is playing Purdue this weekend, it was only fitting to make a traditional treat from the state of Indiana. Pie needs no occasion - it's always welcome. But it's a great thing to serve while tailgating or even just watching the game at home.
This recipe is going to seem ridiculously ordinary; trust me, it is rich and luscious, utterly decadent. That it's so easy to make with such simple ingredients only adds to its charm.
Because the pie is kinda beige, I spiffed it up a bit by decorating the crust with colored "leaves" made of leftover dough (instructions below). But this is completely unecessary; the pie is perfectly capable of shining with its flavor alone.
Purdue at Michigan (Homecoming)
Saturday, October 29 at 12 p.m.
Indiana Cream Pie
(slightly modified from Marcia Adams' recipe for Velvet Custard Pie in Cooking from Quilt Country)
1 9" pie crust
1-3/4 cups half-and-half
3/4 cup skim milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of kosher salt
pinch of nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350F. Place the pie crust into a pan. With a knife, trim the excess dough.
In a medium saucepan, bring the half-and-half and milk just to a boil.
Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Slowly whisk in the milk, then pour the custard into the prepared pie crust. Sprinkle top of pie with just a pinch of nutmeg.
Bake for 45 minutes until the pie just wiggles slightly when jostled gently. Let cool completely, then refrigerate.
To decorate pie crust:
Roll out trimmings from the pie crust, not too thin. Cut 1-1/2" leaf shapes, then use the knife to make markings upon each one.
Combine 1 drop of food coloring with 1 tablespoon of water; use this to paint the leaves.
Rub a bit of corn syrup onto the pie crust, then lay the leaves onto it in a decorative pattern.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Hallowe'en Treats for the Grown-Ups
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Great Plains Burger
- Indiana Cream Pie for the Purdue Game
- Hillary Clinton's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Grandpuppy Treats
- Gorgonzola Polenta with Spicy Vegetables
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Sabor Latino
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
- Pepper-Onion Dip for the World Series
- Cranberry Bran Muffins with Orange Marmalade Butte...
- The Grub Crawl
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- The Ugly Mug
- Greek Spinach Dip for the Michigan-Michigan State ...
- Harvest Stew
- Mini Peanut Butter Milkshakes
- Parmesan Puffs
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Chicago Reds
- Italian Beef Sandwiches for the Northwestern Game
- Fluffernutter Cupcakes
- Brown Sugar Tea Cake with Moscato Glaze
- Kale and Peppers in Red Wine Sauce
- ▼ October (21)