Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Mini Peanut Butter Milkshakes
I grew up eating peanut butter virtually every day of my life. PB&J was always the sandwich du jour. As I got older, though, I expanded my horizons; now I rebel almost ferociously against tedium and monotony in my diet.
So after going through a long period of sharing peanut butter toast far too often with someone who eats it every morning (every single morning for the past 3 decades, no less), last year I got to the point where I simply couldn't stand the sight, smell or taste of it anymore - neither the toast nor the peanut butter. Toast - meh, I can live without it. Peanut butter, though??? I had to find a way to reclaim it. I haven't eaten it for more than a year now ... something must be done about this!
Ironically, awhile ago my recipe for Thai-Style Peanut Noodles with Cucumber was a finalist in a contest sponsored by the Southern Peanut Growers' Association. And what, pray tell, was my exciting prize??? Why, a year's supply of peanut butter, of course - 12 jars of the stuff! As Depeche Mode sings in "Blasphemous Rumours": "I think that God's got a sick sense of humour ...."
So I gave jars to Jeremy and to friends. I kept two for myself, because peanut butter does still make a fabulous ingredient for cupcakes, cookies ... and now milkshakes.
Slowly but surely, I am trying to ease myself back into eating peanut butter. I'm making mostly sweet treats with it, but also an occasional savory one. At some point, I hope to be able to schmear some on a piece of bread or on an apple and eat it straight.
Until then, though, a rich, lusciously decadent milkshake is a great way to reacquaint myself with the fabulous flavor of peanut butter. But these are so intense that they need to be offered in mini servings rather than as a full shake. They make adorable desserts!
Mini Peanut Butter Milkshakes
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup skim milk
Place all ingredients in a blender and whiz them together until smooth. Pour into small glasses, top with whipped cream, and serve immediately.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Hallowe'en Treats for the Grown-Ups
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Great Plains Burger
- Indiana Cream Pie for the Purdue Game
- Hillary Clinton's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Grandpuppy Treats
- Gorgonzola Polenta with Spicy Vegetables
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Sabor Latino
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
- Pepper-Onion Dip for the World Series
- Cranberry Bran Muffins with Orange Marmalade Butte...
- The Grub Crawl
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- The Ugly Mug
- Greek Spinach Dip for the Michigan-Michigan State ...
- Harvest Stew
- Mini Peanut Butter Milkshakes
- Parmesan Puffs
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Chicago Reds
- Italian Beef Sandwiches for the Northwestern Game
- Fluffernutter Cupcakes
- Brown Sugar Tea Cake with Moscato Glaze
- Kale and Peppers in Red Wine Sauce
- ▼ October (21)