Monday, January 16, 2012

Reaching ....

As I wrote in both of my New Year posts - the one for Rosh Hashanah and the one featuring my word of the year - the past years (5771 on the Jewish calendar and 2011 on the English one) were wretched. Really, truly, they brought some bad juju!

But the fall and early winter have brought a bit of an upswing, a pretty good lead-in to a new year with fresh hope.    And I always want to share good news with my friends, who've supported me through all the bad stuff and kept me going.  In many ways, it was the professional invitations I received at the end of the year that helped me to choose REACH as my word for 2012; but these are helping me to extend my reach on a personal level, too.

I was the entertainment at Temple Beth Emeth's annual Sisterhood dinner, speaking about how I meandered from Catholic school to Jewish food.  I had a marvelous time - and without embarrassing myself!  (I'm not a natural public speaker by any means.)  I made wonderful new friends, I've been invited to judge the temple's annual brisket cook-off in March (what a great gig that will be!), and I had a lovely time as Cinderella at the ball.  I've also got judging duties at the Ann Arbor Civic Theatre's chili cook-off in February, so my taste buds are going to be busy!

An excellent opportunity to write for the Washtenaw Jewish News, Ann Arbor's Jewish newspaper, was offered to me - reviewing the cookbook Ma Baseema with its fabulous Chaldean/Iraqi recipes.  I recently finished work on that, and the piece will appear in the February issue; another article I'm working on for the WJN has a publication date yet to be determined.

And then I received the most incredible email inviting me to a brand new project; even re-reading it, I'm still in shock!  Let me edit/shorten it for you, and cut to the proverbial chase:

Allow me to introduce myself as editor of Repast, quarterly publication of the Culinary Historians of Ann Arbor.

I'm beginning to plan a Fall 2012 issue of Repast on the theme of "American Cookbooks and Cookbook Writers, 1900-1945". I'm writing to see if you might be able to contribute an article? What I had in mind is a piece on The Molly Goldberg Cookbook, which you wrote about briefly in your 10/29/09AnnArbor.com column. I think this topic would greatly interest our readers ....

   
We feature stories about the history and culture of food: its production, its preparation, its enjoyment, regional culinary traditions, the evolution of gastronomy and of food discourse, kitchen lore, etc.... Your article would make a valuable contribution to the culinary history community of scholars, writers, and readers. Thank you for your time and interest.


OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!!!  I've been invited to write for a respected journal devoted to the history of food!  Me - the flaky chick who takes pictures of everything she eats (with an adorable little pink camera, no less) and then babbles and blathers about it (after taking notes in an equally adorable pink notebook)!

I'll be writing about a Jewish cookbook and the amazing woman, Gertrude Berg, who created the character of Molly Goldberg whose name the book was written in - does it get any better than that???

I'll get to reach back into history, reach out to friends both old and new as I do my research, reach deep into my skill set ... keep reaching and, most importantly, growing ....


For today's recipe - Roasted Fennel and Mushrooms - go to the Food and Grocery page of AnnArbor.com ....

3 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Congratulations Mary! What a lot of wonderful opportunities ahead of you! All your blogging buddies are here, cheering you on. ♥♥

Angela said...

SO COOL!!!

Candace said...

Oh, Mary! How very exciting for you!! Congratulations!!!!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?