Tuesday, January 3, 2012
The Sugar Bowl
In honor of tonight's Sugar Bowl - featuring #13 Michigan vs. #11 Virginia Tech - I'm offering a dessert to enjoy while cheering on my team. When the Wolverines battle the Hokies, there has to be food appropriate to the festivities!
So I made a dessert with pecans and caramel that offers flavors reminiscent of the luscious pralines found in New Orleans, where the game is being played; with banana slices and a hint of rum, it's also an homage to that city's beloved Bananas Foster. And I had to be sure it was served in the perfect vessel ... a sugar(y) bowl!
I offer you something sweet and rich and delicious: a Caramel Crunch Ice Cream Sundae with Banana Caramel Sauce . Enjoy!
Caramel Crunch Ice Cream Sundae with Banana Caramel Sauce
9 caramel-flavored mini rice cakes
6 small sugar cookies
1 tablespoon sugar
4 cups butter pecan ice cream
6 ounces caramel ice cream sauce
1/2 tablespoon dark rum or rum extract
2 medium bananas, sliced
4 waffle cone bowls
Place a sheet of waxed paper on the bottom of an 8"x8" freezer-safe dish.
Place the rice cakes and sugar cookies into a food processor or blender; grind into fine crumbs and place into a flat bowl. Stir in the sugar.
Form 4 1-cup balls of ice cream. One by one, roll the ice cream in the cookie crumbs, coating the ice cream very well; place onto the waxed paper in the dish. Place the dish with the ice cream balls into the freezer for 1 hour to firm them.
Place the ice cream sauce, rum and bananas into a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, just until boiling.
Place a waffle cone bowl onto each of 4 dessert plates. Place 1 ice cream ball into each bowl. Divide the bananas among the bowls, drizzling with caramel sauce. Top with whipped cream and serve immediately.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- Strawberry Jam Muffins
- The Lunch Room's Pie Party
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Conor O'Neill's Traditiona...
- Orange-Glazed Pumpkin Loaf Cake
- Neeps 'n' Tatties with Drambuie Sauce for Robbie B...
- Peanut Butter Pudding for National Peanut Butter D...
- Scallion Pancakes for the Year of the Dragon
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Tower Inn Cafe
- Peach Pudding Cake with Brown Sugar Sauce
- Wordless Wednesday: The Lord of the Ring, Guarding...
- Buffalo Celery Sticks
- Reaching ....
- Frugal Floozie Friday - The Heidelberg
- Mozzarella-Stuffed Turkey Meatballs
- Wordless Wednesday: Anatomically Correct Carrots
- National Voodoo Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Ron's Roadside BBQ
- Corn Chip-Crusted Fish Sandwich with Creamy Cole S...
- Wordless Wednesday: Is There Really Any Doubt Who ...
- The Sugar Bowl
- Word of the Year: Reach
- ▼ January (22)
- ► 2011 (259)