Thursday, October 25, 2012

Cheese Frenchees - Guest Post by Jenn!


I've gotta thank my friend Jenn - the gorgeous grillin' girl who offers succulent sauces and fabulous flavors on her blog, Jenn's Food Journey - for joining me in our 2nd Annual Michigan-Nebraska Blog Post Exchange!!! Not only is Jenn a great cook and an amazing person, but she's a huge football fan - yay! And the Huskers are her team, Nebraska native that she is.

So it's only fitting that we football lovin' girls have a friendly trade-off when our teams meet each year, feasting during the fray ... :) And oh, my word, is this dish Jenn's concocted a perfect food, or what?!?!?


Nebraska football is life. At least in Nebraska it is. We live, breath, die Big Red football. Considering there isn't much else other than corn and cows, you can see where the love for the Huskers comes from. The funny thing, when I was in college I decided I was going to find a different college football team to love - not that I was giving up on the Huskers (NEVER!!), it's just I wanted to spread my wings....so my second love in college football became the Michigan Wolverines. Little did I know that some years later, I would find the most awesome blogging buddy and she would be from Michigan. Not only would she be from there, but she would have a love for the Wolverines like I have for my dear old Huskers. Hence the rivalry began.

With this great rivalry comes the 2nd annual Michigan vs. Nebraska food blogging exchange and I am ever so grateful to Mary for suggesting and hosting this very fun exchange. It's been so wonderful getting to know Mary over the last year or so. I don't have to tell you, her loyal readers, just how amazing she truly is.

Last year for the 1st annual M vs N, I featured Runzas - a Nebraska staple. This year... Oh this year I'm getting downright mean. This year I'm sharing a treat with you that is guaranteed to make your cholesterol skyrocket just by reading the recipe! Do you think that stops Nebraskans? Heck no! We aren't afraid of anything..... especially a deep fried cheese sandwich with mayo.... What? Is that wrong? Well, then I don't want to be right.

I will admit to you, this was my first time at actually trying to make these wonderfully heart clogging sandwiches - I didn't quite get the technique down when it came to dipping the sandwiches into the batter mixture, so don't worry if things get a little messy, this is well worth the mess! Great thing about when I made these... my parents were visiting from Nebraska and had surprisingly never had a Cheese Frenchee - so I not only get to share this wonderful treat with you all, but I even got a chance to share something amazing with my parents!!

I don't know a single person outside of Nebraska who knows of these delectable little devils, so make these for friends... and don't forget to cheer on my ... oops, I mean, don't forget to cheer for YOUR favorite (NEBRASKA) football team on Saturday!!

GO BIG RED!!!



Cheese Frenchees
(Adapted from King's Food Host)

Ingredients:

  • 6 slices of white bread
  • 6 slices American cheese (you can use Velveeta if you want, but nothing else!)
  • 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2-3 cups cornflakes, finely crushed
  • oil for frying

Directions:

Make three sandwiches, using 2 slices of American cheese and 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise per sandwich. Cut the crusts off the sandwiches and cut each one diagonally making 2 triangles.

Combine the egg, milk, flour and salt together until it forms a pancake-like batter. Dip the triangles into egg mixture and coat with cornflake crumbs. Place on a wire rack and continue until all sandwiches are made.

Deep fry in 375 degree F oil for about 1.5 - 2 minutes per side. Carefully remove from oil and allow to cool for a just a bit. The cheese will be hot and melty, so be careful... but enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!

4 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

You're right, I've never ever heard of those before! I love learning about regional recipes! Fun post.

Rachel (Diary of a Recovering Chocoholic) said...

These sound great!Thanks for sharing!

Chris said...

Holy smokes, I may have clogged arteries from just reading this post but I don't care and I am going to be making these deadly things.

Candace said...

Those are ridiculous! I want one. :)


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?