Friday, October 12, 2012
Frugal Floozie Friday - Gourmet Garden
We've been so, so busy lately that Jeremy and I once again found ourselves out running errands and schlepping to appointments one evening, and determined that we needed to get some dinner. Not having had Chinese food in a long time, we stopped by Gourmet Garden, today's Frugal Floozie Friday feature.
For a mere $5.95, I ordered a platter of Lo Mein with bright, crisp vegetables. It was easily enough to feed 2 or more people, which then allows - within our $5 per person budget - for a fresh, hot, crunchy Spring Roll for $1.25. Since our meal had started with a complementary dish of fried chow mein noodles with a sweet dipping sauce, there was an ample quantity of food.
Jeremy veered from some of his usual dishes, and ordered the Sweet and Sour Pork for $8.50; he'd simply heard it calling to him, so he thought he'd try it. The coating wasn't soggy at all, having apparently been freshly sauced before serving; and the sauce itself wasn't too sweet, and was quite good. Served with rice, this is another dish that could serve two.
The restaurant's dinner dishes are meant to be served family-style and to be shared; and the portions are large enough to serve possibly 3-4 with appetizers. Most of the menu offerings are so reasonably priced - under $10, and often under $8 - that splitting them is a great frugal way to enjoy a good meal.
At lunchtime, you can order the Luncheon Special and get either Buddhist Delight or Broccoli in Garlic Sauce for less than $5 each; and these are served with both soup and with your choice of white, brown, or fried rice.
Gourmet Garden is a great place to go for good food, fast service, and generous portions.
2255 W. Stadium Blvd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
View Larger Map
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (17)
- ► 2013 (89)
- Tricky Turkish Taffy Treats
- Sausage-Apple-Yam Shepherd's Pie
- Frugal Floozie Friday at Seva
- Cheese Frenchees - Guest Post by Jenn!
- Vernors Cupcakes for the Detroit Tigers
- Deconstructed Un-Stuffed Shells
- Frugal Floozie Friday at Angelo's
- Whole Grain Pancakes with Spiced Apple Syrup
- Wordless Wednesday - Schmear
- Kasha Varnishkes Soup for National Mushroom Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Gourmet Garden
- Sweet Corn with Cumin, Curry Leaves, and Chilis
- Chicken Curry with Tomato and Coconut Milk
- My Yiddische Nachos (for Daniel Saraga)
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Beezy's Cafe
- Samoa Ice Cream Sauce
- Wordless Wednesday - Good Morning!
- Applesauce Pie
- ▼ October (18)
- ► 2011 (259)