Saturday, January 15, 2011

Gratitude List


I don't normally post on weekends, though I may do another round of the NaBloPoMo in February ... it was good for me to have my writing as a focus and a distraction last spring, and it would be a good exercise to work on again now.

But when I saw on Leanne's From Chaos Comes Happiness that there is a gratitude blog hop hosted by Maxabella Loves, I just had to join in. I have been mired in stress and a bad cold/bronchitis and many other miseries this week, and yet it has all shown me that I also have extraordinary blessings to be grateful for:

Jeremy and his dad, Stuart (my ex-husband), who have taken me in for several days and shared their home, their food, and their love when I've been not only in crisis but also sick with either a bad cold or bronchitis (it's a little of both). They've brought me medicine, made me chicken soup, tucked me in when the Nyquil put me into a coma, complimented me on the meals I've cooked for them, worried about how much weight I've lost so quickly because of stress, and most of all welcomed me when I needed refuge. Here's a funny: Stuart even cleaned the bathroom for me! (And if you know Stuart, he makes Oscar Madison look like Felix Unger, so this was astounding!) They have made me feel at home when my own home was no longer welcoming.

My beloved friend Wendy, who picked me up last weekend and took me out for distraction and company, listening and empathizing as I whined and cried and poured out my broken heart. She has let me rant, question, debate, wail, and vent to my heart's content by phone, in person, by email and by chat. She has even offered to come help me pack under soul-crushingly tense circumstances. I would not still be here without her.

Tom's cousin Kathy, who sent a poignant and lovely comment which truly touched my heart. She's offered me kindness, prayers, peace, encouragement and hope ... she is a good, good woman.

The people I work with, who have been so supportive as I've been so miserable and frazzled this week. One gave me a ride to the repair shop where my car was being worked on, saving me from standing in the snow and waiting for the bus. Another, in particular, has gone so far beyond the usual roles of "co-worker" and "friend" that I cannot adquately describe what a truly rare gem of a human being he is -- a mentsch to show all the other mentsches how it's really done.

My blogging buddies -- particularly Robin, Leanne, Judy, Michelle, Beth, Karen, and April -- whom I've never met but who have offered such generosity of spirit, such warmth, such affection, and such affirmation. I've always maintained that people bond over food, and it seems that I've bonded with some wonderful women here, even though we've never actually shared a meal together!

I am immensely grateful to have been immersed in so much kindness and friendship and love when I've been so suddenly shocked and uprooted. It kinda makes me feel a bit like Jimmy Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life," when everyone rallies 'round him at the end to help him out of a mess he didn't create but found himself caught up in. Every time a bell rings, know that each of my angels listed above has been given a brand new shiny, sparkly set of wings ... :)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely list! It's a Wonderful Life is my favorite movie. I adore that you mentioned it :)

xoxo
Kate

Karen Mortensen said...

Mary, I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Sorry I haven't been on top of things. What is going on with you and what can I do to help?

Robin said...

You have been in my thoughts and prayers this week. I know that this has been so hard. It has to get better as time goes by... or as the saying goes, there is nowhere to go but up! That is what I tell myself when I feel like I am standing at the bottom of the well. So, I have some experience here! Love you Mary. Sending hugs and kisses your way.

Sarah Knight said...

I sincerely hope that things turn around for you in the very near future. Car repairs in MI in winter are always a terrible drag... heck, driving in the snow is a terrible drag.

I can totally empathize with the cold — this morning I will be in the drugstore examining every bottle of dimetapp, triaminic, nyquil, and sudafed, and possibly zicam... and then off to the orange juice. I hope they still make those Halls cool berry cough drops... eh.

So, I hope things get better for you. It's always good to have someone to vent to ; )
We all do it.

Maxabella said...

You seem to have had quite a week, Mary. It's lovely that you have joined in with our grateful linky. Appreciating what we have is all the more important when things are down, I think. GREAT to see a new face too. x

Unknown said...

Hang in there Mary, continued prayers are going up for you. :)

Team Chastain said...

Mary,

Prayers going up for you. It seems you're in a trial by fire phase of life...and I'm so very sorry...but keep in mind that the renewal of spring is just around the corner. We always have room for you in Myrtle Beach, too. *hug*

Rachel Cotterill said...

I'm sorry that you've been having such a tough time - and I'm sorry that my academic commitments have kept me away from the blogosphere in the last week, so I wasn't around to proffer my support - but I LOVE LOVE LOVE that (in spite of the tough bits) you've made such a sweet list of things to be thankful for. Fantastic :D

keri said...

Well, I didn't have to read far to see I was right. You are indeed busting a move, and I'm not surprised to know you have an incredible support system including the mentsch of mentsches stepping up with well deserved love and respect for you.

I'm going back again to search for more detail.


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?