Thursday, January 27, 2011

International Week -- Stilton Pâté

Before we move along to today's post, I have to share my BIG, exciting news: My Scottish Oatmeal Shortbread post made the front page of the prestigious Food News Journal yesterday -- I'm in "Best of the Blogs"!!! Here's what they say about themselves: "Monday through Friday FNJ brings you the best in food current events: the most intriguing articles, the liveliest essays, and the best from the bloggers." Whee!!! I'm absolutely giddy ... :)

Okay, now on with today's recipe ....

This may be the easiest (although the least colorful!) recipe I've ever given to you. It's not quite as easy as telling you how to boil water, but it's not too far off.

In deciding what recipes to feature for International Week, there seemed to be a little bit of "something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue" involved despite this not being an intentional protocol for picking the foods. Monday's pasta dish was old, one I've made before; yesterday's soup was borrowed from my dear friend Connie. And today's was both new and blue!

Despite never having been a vegetarian, I was given Linda McCartney's Home Cooking many moons ago. Most of the recipes are very quick and easy, but I haven't used the book in years and years. I remember making some sort of cheese dumplings once and having them not hold their shape as they simmered; they just fell apart and turned into a mess of spinach and blobs of ricotta floating in the water. That was enough to deter me from using the cookbook again, but still it lingered in my collection.

But as the countries were reviewed (and next time, "trips" to continents beyond Europe will be featured), England seemed like a nice choice to feature. The Brits aren't exactly noted for the quality of their food, although some items -- like clotted cream and scones -- are justly famous. And Stilton, a gorgeous strong blue cheese, is divine! So, a recipe by a famous resident of the English countryside which featured one of my favorite treats seemed to be worth tasting.

Go buy some Stilton or some other good blue cheese, stir it together with a few other ingredients, and have yourself some exceptional pâté. It's essentially a glorified dip, but why not elevate it and indulge in a little sophistication??? I liked this recipe so much that I might actually give the cookbook another try some time. It has been redeemed ... :)

Stilton Pâté

4 ounces crumbled Stilton
juice from 1/4 lemon
4 ounces cream cheese
2 teaspoons snipped chives
2 tablespoons milk

pinch of kosher salt
pinch of freshly ground black pepper

Mix everything together and place into a serving bowl. That's it! Serve with vegetables, crackers, whatever strikes your fancy. You can also thin it out a bit more and use it as a chip dip or as a salad dressing.






 Tell Us Something Good

7 comments:

shah wharton said...

Yummy! Hey there - nice blog. I'm hosting my own brand new and very first blog hop for the weekend starting tomorrow for creative people: that include writers, artists of all genres, crafters,all sorts. Do stop by and link up. It needs some love to get it off the ground.

I'm following your from the hop too btw. Shah at wordsinsync.blogspot.com X

Unknown said...

WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!! Congratulations on your recipe getting front page recognition in the Food News Journal!! YAY! That is just awesome!! I'd high five you and hug you if I could!! :)
I had Stilton cheese before at a wine and cheese festival once...I bet this pate is amazing!!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Congratulations to you, Mary!!

And thanks for the recipe. I absolutely LOVE Stilton. It is one of the best things about going to England. In Yorkshire there's a dairy that makes all different kinds of cheese, including Stilton. (unlike around here where a dairy makes only one kind of cheese and sells it in huge quantities to pizza makers).

Be sure to enter my [first ever] Giveaway at Cranberry Morning. (my handmade soaps) :-)

Karen Harris said...

I love Stilton! I have a friend that makes the most delicious creamy Stilton soup with lots of celery. I'll direct her to your recipe.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Congrats on getting the front page.

I love blue cheese, but I don't use it often enough. I am the only one in the family that likes it.

Candace said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! It is a much deserved honor for you! That just makes me all kinds of happy for you. :)

I have never had Stilton but this recipe looks soooo good. Perfect for my next party! Thanks, Mary!

Miriam said...

YAY! Congrats! I am so happy for you and your famous blog!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?