Friday, March 25, 2011

Lenten Friday: 3-Ingredient Tomato Salsa Soup


After an unexpectedly long and stressful day last week, which came after several other long and stressful days, I arrived home one evening tempted to tear open a bag of potato chips but determined to treat myself with more respect than that and eat a proper dinner.

But I had little time, less inclination, and not too many ingredients at my disposal. What could I serve that would nourish me quickly?

Soup. I had a container of tomato-pepper soup, and it could serve as my base. It's okay on its own, though it kinda needs a bit of oomph-ing up. What to add to it ...?

Salsa. I still had fresh salsa in the refrigerator; that would be perfect! And then the final epiphany struck: I'd been saving some tortilla chip crumbs, knowing I could find a purpose for them in life. And this was it! Yay!!!

So I heated the soup and salsa, poured the soup into a bowl, placed the crumbs on top, and I enjoyed a warm, nourishing meal within maybe 5 minutes.

Cause I'm worth it ... :)

Tomato and Salsa Soup

1-1/2 cups roasted tomato and red pepper soup
1/2 cup fresh salsa
1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips

Heat the soup and the salsa in a small saucepan. Pour the soup into a bowl, and top with crushed chips.

Serves 1.








Smart and Trendy Moms



A Mommy's Sweet Blog Design Friday Blog Hop






Stuff and Nonsense

16 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

That looks wonderful. Thanks for the tip. I will tell my friend at work. She loves this kind of stuff.

Clavel said...

great recipe.
Happy friday blog hop! I am your newest follower,
http://clavsupclose.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Great idea! I love throwing things like this together..so much better then that bag of potato chips! (but I do love that bag!!)

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I love it when things are both easy and yummy!

Karen Harris said...

This is a nice little recipe for early spring supper. First a Purim treat and now a Lenten supper. I feel a cookbook idea for you coming on!

Anonymous said...

IMO - anything with tortilla chips has GOT to be good!

This is PERFECT for my new linky party, Foodie Friday. Please stop on over and link up!

Alison Agnew said...

you had me at salsa...this looks yummy and such a light and fresh soup for this time of year...thanks so much for sharing at fridays unfolded!

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

Miriam said...

Amazing soup! Serve me up a bowl! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Lindsey Stipes said...

new follower and so excited-love food blogs even though they make me hungry!!!

Keri said...

Mmmmm.. yeah.. this works.

Cranberry Morning said...

It is difficult to make good choices when we arrive home and are famished! The soup looks great! Far better than eating a Ritter bar and foraging. :-)

Beth Zimmerman said...

Mmmm that sounds yummy! Though I'd probably add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cheese! :) Of course then it would be 5 ingredients!

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

that sounds delicious!!!! I have used salsa in my homemade veggie soup a few times and it gives it a totally new and interesting flavor! "Great Minds!!"

Candace said...

What a great idea, Mary! I would loooove this soup. So quick, yummy and healthy!

lindalou said...

Great idea and glad you were able to avoid the call of the potato chips.

Meryl said...

Recipe looks great and we are worth it!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?