Monday, March 14, 2011

Pi and Potato Chip Day


It is my distinct pleasure to announce that we get to celebrate two holidays today -- sometimes a girl gets to have way too much fun, eh???

First of all, it's the famous Pi Day: March 14, otherwise known as 3/14, otherwise known as 3.14 -- pi, that endless (thus far -- it's been calculated to a trillion places and is still going strong!) number that most of us haven't used since high school unless we happen to be math teachers.

It is also National Potato Chip Day, an occasion that simply couldn't be overlooked.

Have I planned to indulge in chips 'n' dip, followed by pie for dessert??? Heavens, no! That wouldn't be very adventurous, now would it?

So I combined the two foods ... yes, I did. You've had chocolate-covered pretzels, right? Same concept, just a variation on the theme.

I made a chocolate-drizzled ice cream pie. It has a crust made from -- surprise, surprise! -- crushed potato chips. (Be sure to use Michigan's own Better Made chips -- the best there are! -- if you can.)

And you know what? It's really, really good!!! It is! Jeremy liked the crust, shmeared with a bit of sweetness, even more than the ice cream!

The pie has that sweet-salty thing goin' on, with each complementing the other and forming an entirely new taste experience. It's cold, it's creamy, it's crunchy ... all good things blended into one.

So let me tell you how to make this gorgeous specimen. It's easy -- you just have to start a day ahead and allow some time first for the ice cream to melt somewhat, and then for it to re-freeze.

But this is well worth the investment of waiting -- remember, patience is a virtue even when impatience is trying to rule the day!

And, because we're not having enough fun already, I just found out it's Bacon Monday at Susie QT Pies' Scraps of Life!!! Go check out linked-up recipes for ... sigh ... bacon ... :) You might also win a cookbook, too ....



Chocolate-Drizzled Potato Chip 'n' Ice Cream Pie

1/2 cup crushed lightly salted potato chips
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup Breyers Snickers ice cream, very soft
8 large, unbroken, lightly salted potato chips
1 pint Haagen-Dazs Dulce de Leche ice cream, very soft
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Combine the crushed potato chips and butter; press into the bottom of a 7" foil pie pan. Freeze for 10 minutes to set the crust.



Spread the Snickers ice cream over the crust.


Carefully place the intact potato chips around the perimeter, like petals. Freeze for 10 minutes.



Spread the Dulce de Leche ice cream over the Snickers ice cream. Freeze for 45 minutes.

Melt the chocolate chips and drizzle the chocolate over the top of the pie. Freeze overnight, or the ice cream will not be fully set and it will ooze out over the chocolate drizzle ... trust me, I know what I'm talking about!


Cut the pie, pulling the edge of the foil pan down if needed to remove slices. Makes 8 slices.








The Things We Find Inside

>

Photobucket



MellowYellowMondayBadge

12 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I have no idea why math teachers don't teach pi as 3, rather than 3.14. How much more often all of us would have quickly estimated the diameter of a object if we knew its circumference, or the circumference of an item if we knew its diameter. sigh.

Are you kidding about this pie??? If that Haagen-Dazs ice cream were here it would never get to a pie plate.

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

What a yummy idea!!! Sweet and savory :) Thanks for sharing, I could totally do this!

Candace said...

Mary, my grandmother kept all kinds of goodies at her house and my cousins and I were allowed to have what we wanted...when we wanted it. Mixing chips and ice cream was our favorite way to snack! I haven't done it in years but the memories remain. You know I heard, also, today that it is National Napping Day. That would be perfect after a piece of your pie! Be blessed today, sweet friend!

Leovi said...

Nice shots, I like this cake. I wish you a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

I love this...great for parties. I also can not be seduced by sushi - yuck! I'm a new follower from Make Friends Monday. http://wwww.grandmasguidetolife.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I LOVE this idea! It just makes sense. I love salty/sweet ... and what a great way to celebrate both days!!

Karen Harris said...

Potato chips, ice cream and bacon? I'm in! Fun post.

Nicole said...

Two of my favorite things.. chips and pie!

Unknown said...

Clearly pi has overshadowed the neglected potato chip. This looks like an interesting combo with the sweet and salty.

Lorie said...

I absolutely adore this pie recipe. Bookmarking!

Leanne said...

You are kidding me, right? This CAN'T BE FOR REAL!!!!! A potato chip pi(e)?!?!? HOLY COW!!! Pinch me - I MUST be dreaming.

Ok, my challenge is now to make it low fat. Baked Lays - wonder how that would work.And maybe Edy's Slow Churn ice cream (1/2 the fat). Ok, I'm on it!!!

LOVE the sweet and salty combo - it's a winner!!!!

Miriam said...

Great PI (he, he)! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?