Thursday, March 3, 2011

Quick Curried Chicken with Spinach


I've been craving Indian food, a protein other than eggs or cheese, and an opportunity to just cook without having to follow any rules or accommodate any dietary quirks or restrictions. I've been feeling a tad confined in the kitchen lately, by a variety of scenarios.

So when I went to visit Tom recently, he very sweetly said I could make whatever I wanted to for dinner. And since he had some chicken and some spinach to finish off, in addition to my having -- seriously! -- an entire freezer door full of spices, we settled on an easy but immensely flavorful favorite: curried chicken.

This doesn't take very long to cook at all, but the house smells amazing while you're stirring! Truly, it is utterly tantalizing -- the cooking time is short, but it will feel nearly endless as you are tempted by the Siren song of the aromas ....

Curried Chicken with Spinach

2 tablespoons oil
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1" pieces
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6 ounces coconut milk
2 cups baby spinach leaves
rice and/or naan, for serving

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, 'til lightly browned. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent.

Sprinkle the curry powder, garam masala and sea salt over the chicken; stir. Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a boil; lower heat to medium, stirring frequently to coat the chicken with the thickening sauce and to mix the spices into the sauce.


Add the spinach and cook just until it's starting to wilt.

Serve over rice, with naan, or both!



The Things We Find Inside


12 comments:

Unknown said...

That picture looks gorgeous... I want some right now!! And yes, I can only sit here and imagine how wonderful the kitchen smelled while it cooked!! Glad you got a chance to cook anything you wanted to, it's not fun to be stifled in your kitchen!

Candace said...

My husband is going to love you, Mary! He craves Indian food and anything that will allow me to make it faster...hence "more often"....will make him a very happy man. Thank you for sharing this easy and yummy recipe.

Have a beautiful day! Candace

Unknown said...

Mary, Thanks a lot!!! I will have to try it next week. BTW, I will email you and Peggy a South Indian chicken recipe soon.
BTW, have you tried the Fish in a tomato sauce recipe I sent you?
-Sid

Meg Luby said...

this looks awesome! where does one get garam marsala? thanks for sharing!
-meg
@ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com/

Cranberry Morning said...

I have everything to make this except the garam masala. I just got my Penzey's order with hot curry powder. Yea! Can't wait to try this. Thanks Mary.

Angela said...

That looks so good! This is totally my kind of meal.

Are You A Mom said...

Hello,
I am your newest follower...Please stop by, say hi and follow me too :)
Thanks and Have a great day!
Maureen- Areyouamom.com

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

YUM ( I was a weird kid and have loved spinach my whole life). Saw you featured over at Pocket Change along with another favorite blogger, Erin from Crafts & Sutch! Congrats.

Karen Harris said...

I LOVE Indian and this looks fantastic.

Lesa said...

Love the name of your blog-- I'm a food floozie too! I am easily led astray by food-- that is how my hubby lured me to Oklahoma from Tx.

Love the sound of this recipe!

I'm visiting and following from the Thursday Stroll hop!

cailen ascher said...

i LOVE curry chicken. sounds/looks like a wonderful recipe!

ps i'm having a jewelry giveaway over at my blog if you haven't checked it out yet.

happy (almost) weekend

Erin Wallace said...

Yummy! Sounds absolutely fantastic - love indian food and there's no where good around here to get it.


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?