Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp for Springtime

A sure sign that Spring has finally come is the first sighting of rhubarb in stores or at farmers' markets. Its gorgeous red is immediately attractive, and is so seductive that there is no way to resist buying it! I've made rhubarb pies, quick breads, dessert bars, and all sorts of other variants, including a savory chicken dish once; but my favorite way to use those beautiful stalks is to make a simple crisp. It's not particularly photogenic, I admit! But it's easy to make and absolutely sublime with hints of sweetness, tartness, and spice all rolled into one luscious dessert ... :) Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp 1-1/2 cups chopped rhubarb 1 quart strawberries, chopped juice of 1 orange 1/4 cup sugar 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour 1/3 cup brown sugar 1/3 cup quick-cook oats 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/3 cup butter, melted Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9" pie pan. Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, orange juice and sugar; place into the pie pan. Combine the flour, brown sugar, oats and cinnamon; pour the butter over the mixture and combine well. Spread the oat mixture over the fruit. Bake for 35 minutes, until the topping is golden and the fruit is bubbling. Let cool a bit, and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream ... or both!
Photobucket





Photobucket





9 comments:

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

I have had the pie but not the crisp. Looks (as always) delish!!!!

Unknown said...

Looks incredibly delicious! When I was a kid we had this really great big garden in our back yard...there were two rows of rhubarb. We'd go out right when they were ripe and grab a stalk, run into the house and dip them in sugar. YUM! So many good strawberry rhubarb pie and crisp memories :)

Candace said...

Looooove rhubarb! That is something I did not grow up ever having. One taste of rhubarb pie and I was hooked. I'm so excited to be living in rhubarb country now. I should have plenty of it this summer. My MIL has it growing like crazy in her basement. Thank you for the recipe. I am definitely going to make this one. Have a beautiful Wednesday! Candace

Cranberry Morning said...

I love this recipe! I can hardly wait for my rhubarb to poke up through the soil (after two feet of snow melts) and unfurl. What a delicious sweet/tart treat that is!

Miller Racing Family said...

What a great recipe. This totally reminds me of my grandparents. They always had a garden full of strawberries and though I hated it then they even had rhubarb. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings

Beth Zimmerman said...

Oh my goodness! Now this one brings back memories of home. We had (wild) rhubarb growing in our yard, where I grew up in Maine, and I was always begging my mom to make strawberry rhubarb sauce for me. I don't think I've had it since moving south!

Anna said...

Hi!

I'm your newest follower from the Midweek Mingle blog hop:)

Feel free to check out my blog here: inadaze13.blogspot.

Elizabeth said...

Yum! My mom used to make rhubarb raspberry crisp, so tasty!

Lisa said...

Mmm, now this is the way to welcome in the spring. It sounds delish! I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your crisp up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?