Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Krispy Kreme Chocolate Chip Cookies


I respect the spirit of the law at Passover, although I don't feel bound by the letter of the law.

I'll be going to a cherished friend's house for a Seder on the first night of the 8-day holiday, and bringing Chocolate Caramel Matzah made with my own handmade matzah.  I'll be going to another priceless friend's house for the second night's Seder, and respecting her Orthodox parents by masquerading as a normal person who doesn't take pictures of everything she eats (since photography is forbidden).

My traditions include eating far too many Manischewitz almond macaroons from a can, one of my favorite guilty pleasures; they're only available this time of year, so I have to get my quota in!  And I don't eat bread, a leavened product that is not permissible during Passover, but that's primarily because I don't eat much bread anyway - that part of the proceedings is easy for me.

But I don't rid my home of all the forbidden foods (pasta, cakes, cookies, flour, lentils, corn, and many more).  I use my regular ol' dishes and cookware, rather than having extra sets just for Passover that haven't been touched by the verboten items and thus are acceptable.  I don't prepare baked goods with matzah cake meal, which tends to make them heavy and dense; I generally just don't bake at all at this time.

Many of my friends, however, are observant and keep kosher; they have been busy cleaning their homes and preparing for the holiday by removing all forbidden items.  Using up the chametz [HAH-mets] - leavened products and other items that, according to Jewish law, Jews may not possess during Passover - is a time-honored tradition.  Just as Catholics indulge before Lent by using up butter, sugar, eggs, and other goodies before a time of abstinence in preparation for Easter, Jews must get rid of the chametz.

And so, rather than just offering a recipe for bread pudding or French toast - not that there's anything wrong with them! - I thought I'd suggest a bit of novelty today.  I found myself with leftover Krispy Kreme doughnuts after making hedonistic sandwiches while participating in Project PB&J.  So I baked cookies that will help your household to finish off flour, baking soda, and even doughnuts if you have them.  (And if you don't happen to have any on hand, it might be worth buying a few just for this recipe!)

These are rich and decadent in addition to serving a higher purpose in helping to rid the household of soon-to-be-forbidden foods.  Who said you can't have fun while obeying the law?


Chocolate Chip Krispy Kreme Cookies

1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup shortening, at room temperature
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3 cups crumbled Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts (4 doughnuts)
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F.  Lightly grease a baking sheet.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, brown sugar, and vanilla.  Stir in the egg, salt, and baking soda.  Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, and the crumbled doughnuts.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop batter by generous tablespoonsful onto the prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 12 minutes until cookies are slightly firm, then remove to a rack to cool completely.

Makes 48 cookies.


Here are a few other recipes to help you, if you're still searching for ways to use up chametz:

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding

Asparagus Bread Pudding

Strawberry Jam Muffins

Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Muffins

Ooey Gooey Peanut Butter Cream Pie

Peanut Butter Pancakes with Nutella Sauce


Peanut Butter No-Bake Treats

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I should probably try and rid my house of forbidden things from time to time, who cares that I'm not Jewish? :)

Ok... these cookies. Uhhhmmm... Yea, I'd not be able to stop at just twelve!! I think I just drooled on my keyboard!!! What a great idea, I would have never thought to put doughnuts into my cookies!!

Cranberry Morning said...

I love that generous, altruistic spirit in helping others rid their homes of forbidden foods. I really wish you lived next door, Mary! I love reading this blog. Who would've thought to put Krispy Kremes into a cookie! :-)

Robin said...

On the one hand I am absolutely fascinated by Jewish traditions (aka laws) because it is funny how those two things become intertwined. And I have thought, in my younger days, that I would like to be Jewish to experience all of that history. Ritual. Etc. Now, I really don't like being hemmed in by anything that says I have to do ANYTHING to be spiritually okay with God other than be the best possible me. So, I know I would not make a very good Jew. I am not stacking up well on the Christian meter right now. LOL. The thing is that I am a lot less about religion and a lot more about spirituality. Religion sells. Spirituality doesn't. And hence the problem. One is public and the other personal. And I just don't do public anymore. This doesn't make me popular at church gatherings. Luckily, I do know when to keep my mouth closed *sometimes.*

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

OK Mar... I've thought up some fakakta combinations that turned out to be incredibly good, but you take the cake (or should I say cookies?) with this one! Yumm x 100!

We don't have Krispy Kreme around here, but I'm so intrigued by these that I'm sure I can find a passable substitute. I have no problem doing my part for Pesach!
XOXO

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

What a great use up for left over donuts! They look really luxurious and oh so bad :)

Beth Zimmerman said...

Holy Canoli! Those look dangerous!

Chris said...

Krispy Kreme approves! Hot and Ready Now!

Unknown said...

oh my goodness - yum and yum. Have you been able to do anything other than make these in batches over and over again?? That's what I would do if I could cook.

New follower from WW
-Buffi
My Wonderfully Dysfunctional Blog


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?