Monday, April 16, 2012

Taqueria La Fiesta, Part Dos


Jeremy was having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day recently.  We spent the entire day running errands, going to appointments, jumping through hoops, and getting delayed - with some unprofessional, unprovoked, antagonistic, confrontational, and threatening behavior thrown in at one location, just for fun! - although the day thankfully ended on an upswing.

At lunch time, I had planned to go somewhere new for a Frugal Floozie Friday post; I always need fresh material, after all.  But Jeremy was so stressed and unhappy that I was grateful to have had an epiphany.

We were close to one of his favorite places.  So instead of turning around and going to the buffet that Jeremy had suggested when I asked him where he wanted to eat, I said: "How would you like to go see George?"  Jeremy brightened and enthusiastically agreed.  A burrito gigante was calling to him!

And so, we boogied on over to Taqueria La Fiesta.

As always, we were welcomed warmly by George, whose family owns the restaurant; he makes us feel as though we are honored guests in his home.  He brought chips and the fabulous spicy salsa, which we enjoyed with tall glasses of jamaica [huh-MY-kuh], a gorgeous pink iced hibiscus tea.

We chatted about tres leches cake, which a mutual friend had been providing but which is no longer offered (though a cupcake version may appear, so stay tuned!).  We chatted about restaurant coupons.  And we chatted about the wonderful fish tacos that George brought for us to sample, which were filled with pollock and a mango habanero salsa.  These were so good that even my fish-hating son loved them!  They feature a great contrast between tender fish and crisp vegetables, and saltiness mixed with sweetness and a hint of spice.  There is an entire range of flavors all dancing together.

Because I always like to try new dishes, I ordered the pork tamales pictured above rather than relying upon anything I'd ordered and enjoyed before; I like to work my way through a menu, and wasn't concerned with our $5 per person Frugal Floozie Friday limits at this visit.  With no budgetary constraints, I could order anything that might brighten the day!

I adore tamales, and have such respect for the time-consuming handmade labor of love that they are!  These were fabulous - moist rather than crumbly, and the pork was tender and utterly delicious having simmered in a flavorful red sauce.  The portions - especially when combined with refried beans and rice - were so generous that I was able to take most of the food home to enjoy again the next day.

We left happy - no small feat, given how Jeremy's morning had gone! - and restored for the rest of our busy afternoon.  Thank you, George, for the fabulous food and for your friendship ... :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Bad days suck....but what a great way to make it all go away - will fantastic food! Glad you were there for him - and glad George was there for him too!

Miriam said...

I'm sorry he had such a rotten day. Good thing you were there to support him and stuff him full of Mexican food (that always cheers me up anyway)!
Hope you're having a very yummy week :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Chris said...

I've had lots of those days recently, so I can relate. And tamales are the bomb. I've made my own the past two years, great stuff.


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?