Sunday, June 20, 2010

Another Food Holiday -- YAY!!!

It takes so little to make me happy, sometimes. And a vanilla milkshake -- frankly, a milkshake of any flavor! -- can do it every time. So thankfully, because we can all use a little happifying, today is ... ta da!!! ... National Vanilla Milkshake Day! And what a great treat for Dad on Father's Day, too ... :)

Go to Dairy Queen, to Baskin-Robbins, to Big Boy ... I can't believe I'm saying this, but even go to McDonald's if you have to in order to get yourself a milkshake. If you have dairy issues, feel free to use rice or soy milks and ice creams; I don't think there's any requirement to use cow's milk products, after all.

Of course, these are very easy to make at home -- there's hardly even a recipe. Plop some vanilla ice cream into a blender. Add milk halfway up the ice cream blob. If you have some vanilla-flavored coffee syrup, splash a little in. Put the top on the blender and whoosh! Blend until smooth. Add either more ice cream (if too thin) or more milk (if too thick); then pour into tall glasses, add whipped cream and straws, and serve to happy people!

But remember -- it can't be strawberry, it can't be jamocha (our Arby's closed, taking it with the only thing worth ordering there), and it can't be a chocolate malt. Vanilla is the flavor du jour!

NOTE: Don't forget to check out the "thank you" post for my followers, and leave a comment at the end of it if you're interested in the gift drawing: "L'Chaim -- To Life!"


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

10 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I enjoy reading your blog, but NO WAY can I bring myself to purchase (spend MONEY on) or even make, a vanilla ANYthing. With all the flavors available, like Jamocha almond fudge and New York cherry and Blueberry Waffle Cone, why would anyone settle for boring old vanilla. ;-)

Single and Sane said...

You know, it occurred to me while I was reading this that I don't think I have ever had a vanilla shake. Chocolate, strawberry, even sherbet shakes, but I can't remember ever having a vanilla one. I may need to change that today!

Grace said...

You had me at the cobbler picture on your button. But as long as we're discussing shakes, I had a marvelous chocolate malt from Johnny Rockets on the Oasis of the Seas last week.

Karen Mortensen said...

I LOVE milkshakes.

Candace said...

Yum! Vanilla Milkshakes are the best. I might have to have one of these today.

Have a great day! Candace~♥

Robin said...

I repeat.... How do you stay so thin???? Milkshake Day????

Yenta Mary said...

I could say "Moderation in all things," and sound really pompous and condescending! But the truth of the matter is, I have a 19 year old son ... and he has buddies. It's astounding how quickly food can disappear under these circumstances!

Yenta Mary said...

Normally, I'm not a vanilla kinda gal either; but sometimes it's just perfect. There are days when you want all the "stuff" -- malt and chocolate and chips and nuts -- and others when simplicity reigns. I did get a vanilla milkshake yesterday, and split it with someone very special ... :) It was a good way to celebrate!

Beth Zimmerman said...

Mmmmmm Milk Shakes!

Marissa said...

when I was pregnant with my first son, I craved milkshakes like CRAZY, so i gave in one day and stopped by chick-fil-a for a milkshake! BIG MISTAKE! it was sooo very tasty, however when I came home, turned on my computer and looked up the nutrition facts on the SMALLL VANILLA MILKSHAKE, I about fell out of my computer chair....never do that again, although it was sooo good and satisfied my prego craving :)


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?