Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sometimes I Amaze Even Myself!

I was tickled to have been invited by Heather, of Girlichef fame, to participate in a link-up dedicated to "REAL food" which was "the brainchild of Alex from A Moderate Life." Real food is just what you think it is -- homemade, wholesome, fresh, delicious. No hydrogenation, none of that high fructose corn syrup nonsense, no preservatives. Just food.

And so, what better way to become initiated into the fold than by writing about my Saturday trip to the Farmers Market??? Oh, I absolutely adore the Farmers Market! The colors, the aromas, the flowers, the vegetables, the herbs, the baked goods, the honey, the syrup ... it leads me into temptation and makes me want to spend a fortune that I just don't have.

But I only needed $3 to realize my goal on Saturday: I came for, I saw, and I went home with garlic scapes -- the usually discarded long, green, twirling tops of garlic. Two bunches of 'em, 'cause their season is short but they supposedly freeze well (never tried it, but I've heard it). I may not even get around to freezing them, though, because there are so many things you can do with them:

- chop them into small pieces and add them to salads or soups
- chop them into itty-bitty pieces and stir them into sour cream for a dip
- puree them with oil and toasted pine nuts to make a pesto (see my fellow Michigan Lady Food Blogger Diana Dyer's recipe, which has been receiving rave reviews among other friends who've been trying it!)

Oh, the list goes on and on! Simply use garlic scapes in any way that you would use green onions or garlic.

As I was giddily making my purchase on Saturday morning (I think it was from the Frog Holler stall, but in all honesty I was so focused on my mission that I'm not 100% positive), the woman next to me was wondering what in the world I was holding and how to use them. I told her that I intended to use some for my lunch that day by chopping them and sauteeing them in olive oil, then pouring that fabulous mix over pasta. Really, it's the little things -- there is no need for anything fancy or elaborate when an ingredient as glorious as garlic scapes is available!

And so, here is a meal that was truly so exceptional that I amazed even myself! Who needs a drive-thru or a drive-up or delivery when it's so easy to make something that's both nutritious and delicious??? I served the pasta with a fabulous Kalamata olive breadstick from Mill Pond Bakery; each could be happily devoured on its own, but together they are a thing of great beauty ... :)

girlichefT4T

Spaghetti with Garlic Scapes

12 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 large garlic scape, chopped fine
a bit each of kosher salt and pepper
handful of parsley, chopped
few sprigs of oregano, chopped
shredded Parmesan

add-ins for my lunch that Jeremy doesn't like:
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
2 baby Portobello mushrooms, diced
sprinkle of red pepper flakes

Bring water to a boil and cook spaghetti according to package directions.

Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic scape, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until the scape pieces have softened. Turn off heat and stir in parsley and oregano.

Drain pasta and pour the garlic scape oil over it; stir to mix well. Serve immediately, topped with Parmesan.

If you want the add-ins: Saute the tomatoes, mushrooms and red pepper flakes in a tablespoon of oil in a small saucepan for a few minutes, until the tomatoes have wilted and the mushrooms are golden. Stir them into the pasta along with the garlic scape oil.

Serves 2-4, depending upon portion size and how greedily you inhale this once you find out how amazing it is!

This recipe also happily belongs with the Presto Pasta Night link-up, so be sure to visit that one, too, which is being hosted by The Sweet Kitchen this week ....



Tuesday Tag-Along

BWS tips   button



26 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there! I found your blog through Tuesday Tag-Alongs. I'm a follower now, hope you follow me too!
http://jennsfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2010/06/tuesday-tag-along.html

Kate said...

Thanks for the follow. Just popping in to return the favour.

I love, love, LOVE to see people cooking REAL food. Processed food, full of nasty stuff, is one of my pet hates.

Agree about the farmers markets, too. Bliss!!

Rose said...

i never heard of garlic scapes, but i love the receipe.thanks. rose

Heather S-G said...

This sounds amazing, Mary!! I'm so glad you brought it to Two for Tuesdays this week =) Can you believe I've never tried garlic scapes!? It's one of those things that I've wanted to try forever, but for some reason am unable to find any! Guess I'll just have to realize my dream of becoming a garlic farmer...then I'll have them out the wazoo!! ;)

Fresh Local and Best said...

This looks like a great use of garlic scapes! They add such a nice delicate flavor.

Faith said...

Following from FMBT:) Can't wait to read more!

Michelle said...

I've never heard of garlic scapes before, either. Sounds delicious though, as a garlic lover! I'm skipping the following things this week but stopping by some of my faves to say hi. :)

Sweet Kitchen said...

This looks delicious! I'm picking up my CSA box tonight and I've been promised some scapes so I may just have to make this for dinner. Can't wait!

Ruth Daniels said...

I still have to wait for another few weeks before I find any garlic scapes here in Halifax Nova Scotia, but I'll be bookmarking this for when they do arrive. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. Glad to see you back.

cristiniscouponcrazy said...

hi i found your blog on the FOLLOW ME BACK TUESDAY linky!
i am your newest follower
i am looking forward to reading your blog
please follow back:)
Cristin Is Coupon Crazy

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

This is simply mouthwatering! I wish I had garlic scapes in my area, they are neat looking.

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

YUMMY!!!! That looks so good! I've never shopped for garlic scapes before but I'm going to have to try now!!! I have a farmers market next door so I'll run over there and look! :)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Hi I'm your newest follower from Tag along tuesdays :) Please check out my blog at http://Andrea-thekitchenwitch.blogspot.com

the garlic scapes sound delicious. I've never tried them but would love to!! I plan on planting garlic this fall so hopefully I'll have homegrown scapes next spring :)

Beth Zimmerman said...

Oh Yum! That sounds delish! :)

anne maskell said...

Your pasta looks fabulous. I've never heard of garlic scapes before, but I will be on the hunt for them now. I'm your newest follower from FMBT. hope you follow me too!

Ott, A. said...

Just stoppin' by from TTA to say Hi! I was really surprised to be the featured hostess today and just wanted to say thanks for linking up and Happy Blogging!

missykade said...

Following, please follow back :)
http://lucasjourneyspd.blogspot.com/

Jennifer said...

That looks yummy!

I am following you from Follow me Back Tuesday :)

Jennifer @ http://coplingshobbithole.blogspot.com/

Baby Boberg & Parents said...

I am your newest follower from follow back tuesday!

Velva said...

I learned a new term "garlic scapes" I had no idea, that's what we should call them. Perfect.

Your dish looks wonderful!

Cielo Azul Jewelry said...

HI there!!! Following you back and it's so nice to meet cha=0)

Everything looks so delish!
xoxo,
Carol

Amy Ricks said...

Hi, fellow Two for Tuesday blogger! That is a lovely recipe and very unique. Thanks for visiting me and I'm looking forward to keeping up with you.

www.kitchencentsability.blogspot.com

Flory said...

lots of goodies here, i love it!
following you back now!
flory

Bethany said...

I love simple recipes and pasta is a personal weakness of mine. I will definitely have to make this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing it on Two for Tuesdays blog hop!

Alex@amoderatelife said...

What a delicious and unique recipe! Thanks so much for participating in the Two for Tuesday Recipe Blog Hop! Hope to see you again next week!:)

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful!! I love stir-fried scapes! (I'd happily have Jeremy's rejected addins in my lunch. That sounds great.)

We almost got some at the farmers' market this week too but had already gone nuts buying spinach, asparagus and baby red onions. Our fridge can only hold so much....

Isn't this bounty wonderful?

-Elizabeth


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?