Monday, July 11, 2011
Blueberry Streusel Muffins
Blueberry muffins are a universal favorite! Who wouldn't want to celebrate them today, on National Blueberry Muffin Day?
Not only do these muffins showcase one of Michigan's finest fruits, but they're sweet and delicious and perfect at any time of day. Breakfast? A great way to start the morning! Lunch? They can certainly make a fabulous dessert. Tea time? Evening or midnight snack? Absolutely ideal!
This recipe makes a very tender muffin, loaded with gorgeous blueberries. And the cinnamon streusel makes a lovely, fragrant topping so that the muffins aren't quite so plain.
Just as National Strawberry Shortcake Day didn't need my promotional assistance, National Blueberry Muffin Day can hold its own, too, I think. So I'll stop blathering now, and just let you enjoy your muffin in peace ....
Blueberry Streusel Muffins
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1-1/2 cups unbleached flour
1-1/2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup blueberries
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup quick-cook oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted
Preheat oven to 325F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
Make the muffins: In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar; stir in egg. Mix in the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in the cream, then gently mix in the blueberries. Divide the batter among the muffin cups.
Make the streusel: Combine the flour, brown sugar, oats and cinnamon. Stir in the butter. Divide the mixture among the muffins by placing a blob of it on top of each.
Bake for 30 minutes, until the muffins are golden and a tester comes out clean. Let the muffins cool, as they're a bit fragile and need to set before being removed from the tin.
Makes 12 muffins.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Silvio's Organic Pizza
- Bacon-Cheese Mix-In Burgers for National Hamburger...
- Summer Vegetable and Bacon Sandwich
- Cherry Cobbler for Two
- Peach-Raspberry Streusel Pie
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Pacific Beach Burritos
- Black Bean and Grilled Corn Salad
- Tuna, White Bean and Red Onion Salad
- Pasta con Cacio e Pepe
- Egg 'n' Onion Sandwich
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Leo's Coney Island
- Tropical Granita
- Basil Parmesan Shortbread Triangles
- Cabbage and Fennel Slaw
- Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- The Cupcake Station
- Pastitsio for National Macaroni Day
- Good As Gold Vinaigrette
- Pie Party: Brownie Ice Cream Pie
- Red, White and Blueberry Sangria
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Jerusalem Garden
- ▼ July (21)