Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Good As Gold Vinaigrette
I love going to the Downtown Ypsilanti Farmers' Market on Tuesday afternoons! It's fairly small and not terribly crowded; so it's a wonderful opportunity to chat with the vendors and to revel in baked goods, fresh herbs, live music, and gorgeous plants, fruits and vegetables.
Last week, I bought some beautiful salad greens that also came with an extra perk: vibrant edible flowers. Why be boring with iceberg lettuce, when you can have a freshly picked variety of leaves and the added bonus of a unique ingredient?
So I hardly wanted to pour plain ol' grocery store salad dressing onto such a lovely accompaniment to my dinner! And that's when I started tinkering with a little of this and a splash of that to make a light, sweet vinaigrette that was the perfect complement to the freshness of the lettuce and the twinge of zest from the flowers.
I started with the basics: oil and vinegar. From there, I simply used what I had - leftover pineapple juice, a lime waiting for a purpose in life, and a touch of hot sauce when the vinaigrette just needed a little bit of oomph.
This dressing would be ideal for any salad featuring chicken or fruit, as well, if you turn it into a meal rather than a side dish.
Good As Gold Vinaigrette
1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon balsamic vinegar (see note below)
1 tablespoon pineapple juice concentrate
juice from 1/4 lime
pinch of kosher salt
4 drops cayenne pepper sauce
Whisk together all ingredients, and drizzle over salad.
Note: Lemon balsamic vinegar is available at Fustini's Oils and Vinegars, a proud Michigan-based franchise. You can use 1/2 tablespoon each of balsamic vinegar and lemon juice as a substitute for the lemon balsamic vinegar.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2012 (227)
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Silvio's Organic Pizza
- Bacon-Cheese Mix-In Burgers for National Hamburger...
- Summer Vegetable and Bacon Sandwich
- Cherry Cobbler for Two
- Peach-Raspberry Streusel Pie
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Pacific Beach Burritos
- Black Bean and Grilled Corn Salad
- Tuna, White Bean and Red Onion Salad
- Pasta con Cacio e Pepe
- Egg 'n' Onion Sandwich
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Leo's Coney Island
- Tropical Granita
- Basil Parmesan Shortbread Triangles
- Cabbage and Fennel Slaw
- Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- The Cupcake Station
- Pastitsio for National Macaroni Day
- Good As Gold Vinaigrette
- Pie Party: Brownie Ice Cream Pie
- Red, White and Blueberry Sangria
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Jerusalem Garden
- ▼ July (21)