Friday, July 15, 2011
Frugal Floozie Friday -- Leo's Coney Island
I recently had dinner with a friend I hadn't seen for quite some time, and we decided to make it a casual evening. An inexpensive but good-for-the-soul meal was in order.
So, where did we go? What is today's Frugal Floozie Friday feature???
Leo's Coney Island. Ya can't go wrong with hot dogs, that consummate comfort food!
There weren't terribly many options that would qualify for our $5 or less per person budget; however, I did manage to get both the requisite chili dog and some vegetables by ordering cole slaw on the side. Yes, I am happy to delude myself that this somehow constituted a semi-nutritious dinner!
And not only did I get a hot dog, but I ordered an all-beef kosher Coney dog ... oh, it was so good! Lots of rich chili and a generous supply of onions (thank goodness I wasn't kissing anyone!) completed the perfect package.
The cole slaw was creamy and had good flavor. Some people are very particular about these matters, but I'm a big fan of virtually any variety of cole slaw. I liked this one very much, and certainly recommend it as an accompaniment to the star of the show.
My friend also ordered the kosher Coney, because it was just the right thing to do. And he also ordered a small Greek salad (over the $5/person budget, but that was his choice) which was very generously topped with all the expected goodies of banana peppers, olives, cheese, beets and tomatoes.
Leo's provided a welcoming atmosphere where we loitered for quite some time, good hearty food, and excellent value for our money ... what more can you ask for? A worthy expenditure of $5!
Leo's Coney Island
3644 Carpenter Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
View Larger Map
Frugal Floozie Friday: Food and Fun for Five Dollars or Less ... Really!!!
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Silvio's Organic Pizza
- Bacon-Cheese Mix-In Burgers for National Hamburger...
- Summer Vegetable and Bacon Sandwich
- Cherry Cobbler for Two
- Peach-Raspberry Streusel Pie
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Pacific Beach Burritos
- Black Bean and Grilled Corn Salad
- Tuna, White Bean and Red Onion Salad
- Pasta con Cacio e Pepe
- Egg 'n' Onion Sandwich
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Leo's Coney Island
- Tropical Granita
- Basil Parmesan Shortbread Triangles
- Cabbage and Fennel Slaw
- Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- The Cupcake Station
- Pastitsio for National Macaroni Day
- Good As Gold Vinaigrette
- Pie Party: Brownie Ice Cream Pie
- Red, White and Blueberry Sangria
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Jerusalem Garden
- ▼ July (21)