I hadn't made sangria for ages and ages, until one evening it just seemed like the perfect thing to drink while sitting on the front porch on a beautiful evening. Champagne is for weddings, beer is for football games, and sangria is for sunny summer days!
And this variation - a festive holiday concoction featuring red wine, white sparkling lemonade, and blueberry syrup - is ideal for today's 4th of July celebrations.
Sangria is easy to make, is a gorgeous deep vibrant shade of red as the sun shines upon it, and is sweet and refreshing. Pair it with burgers, chicken, ribs, corn, potato salad - all the traditional foods 'n' fixin's - and you've got a party!
I've given instructions for making the blueberry syrup; but there's not really a recipe for the sangria, merely a simple "how to" for making this fabulous drink by the glass. And it's one of those things where you can modify the proportions to suit your own tastes, or even make a non-alcoholic version using cranberry juice (or one of the multitude of variations on that basic version). Feel free to multiply everything and place it into a pitcher for serving many.
Enjoy the parades, proudly wear your patriotic colors, offer thanks to those who've sacrificed for our freedoms, and toast the holiday with this celebratory sangria.
Red, White and Blueberry Sangria
4 cups blueberries
4 cups water
1 cup sugar
Bring everything to a boil in a medium saucepan, then lower heat to medium; boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then mash the blueberries. Strain out the solids and reserve the syrup.
Into each large wine glass, place:
1/4 cup blueberry syrup
2/3 cup red wine
2/3 cup sparkling lemonade
4 ice cubes
1/2 lemon slice x 2
1/2 orange slice x 2
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Silvio's Organic Pizza
- Bacon-Cheese Mix-In Burgers for National Hamburger...
- Summer Vegetable and Bacon Sandwich
- Cherry Cobbler for Two
- Peach-Raspberry Streusel Pie
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Pacific Beach Burritos
- Black Bean and Grilled Corn Salad
- Tuna, White Bean and Red Onion Salad
- Pasta con Cacio e Pepe
- Egg 'n' Onion Sandwich
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Leo's Coney Island
- Tropical Granita
- Basil Parmesan Shortbread Triangles
- Cabbage and Fennel Slaw
- Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- The Cupcake Station
- Pastitsio for National Macaroni Day
- Good As Gold Vinaigrette
- Pie Party: Brownie Ice Cream Pie
- Red, White and Blueberry Sangria
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Jerusalem Garden
- ▼ July (21)