Friday, September 16, 2011

Frugal Floozie Friday -- La Fiesta Mexicana


I had a fabulous dinner recently at La Fiesta Mexicana. My entree didn't fall within the Frugal Floozie Friday budget of $5 per person; but the dessert I ordered definitely did.

I simply couldn't resist when the charming, friendly waitress suggested flan for dessert, which qualifies perfectly for our mission at only $3.50. The treat appears to be small, but it is so rich and luxuriant that it was a perfect finish to an excellent meal.

Whether it's called crème caramel in France or flan in Spain and Mexico, this is absolutely one of my very favorite foods! It is a custard topped with a thin sweet sauce, but this really oversimplifies things and doesn't make the dessert sound as enticing as it actually is.

Sugar is melted until golden and poured into a baking dish before a milk mixture is added; the pudding is then baked until set. Then the contents are tipped out onto a dish with the caramel sauce slinking down the sides of the custard ... it is absolutely sublime, rich and creamy. La Fiesta Mexicana adds a bit of cornmeal to the custard, thus creating a sturdier but no less seductive dessert.

So head on over to Ypsi for a truly decadent treat for not very much money!



La Fiesta Mexicana

529 W. Cross
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
734-483-1666



View Larger Map


La Fiesta Mexicana on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

That does it, Mary. I definitely need to give flan a second chance. I had it once in Mexico City and it didn't make a good impression me. But this looks pretty delicious!

Candace said...

I usually never have room for dessert when we go out for Mexican; but you are making me think that next time, I should make it a point to do so. It looks delicious! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Karen Harris said...

Love a good flan. I have a really great recipe that incorporates cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk, but this one with cornmeal sounds intriguing. I'll have to do a little experimentation. Thanks for the inspiration Mary!

Miriam said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy!! I can practically taste that sweet creaminess. Have a happy weekend!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Flan is one of our favorites and that one looks extra delicious. I love reading about your frugal finds.


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?