Friday, September 16, 2011

Frugal Floozie Friday -- La Fiesta Mexicana

I had a fabulous dinner recently at La Fiesta Mexicana. My entree didn't fall within the Frugal Floozie Friday budget of $5 per person; but the dessert I ordered definitely did.

I simply couldn't resist when the charming, friendly waitress suggested flan for dessert, which qualifies perfectly for our mission at only $3.50. The treat appears to be small, but it is so rich and luxuriant that it was a perfect finish to an excellent meal.

Whether it's called crème caramel in France or flan in Spain and Mexico, this is absolutely one of my very favorite foods! It is a custard topped with a thin sweet sauce, but this really oversimplifies things and doesn't make the dessert sound as enticing as it actually is.

Sugar is melted until golden and poured into a baking dish before a milk mixture is added; the pudding is then baked until set. Then the contents are tipped out onto a dish with the caramel sauce slinking down the sides of the custard ... it is absolutely sublime, rich and creamy. La Fiesta Mexicana adds a bit of cornmeal to the custard, thus creating a sturdier but no less seductive dessert.

So head on over to Ypsi for a truly decadent treat for not very much money!

La Fiesta Mexicana

529 W. Cross
Ypsilanti, MI 48197

View Larger Map

La Fiesta Mexicana on Urbanspoon


Cranberry Morning said...

That does it, Mary. I definitely need to give flan a second chance. I had it once in Mexico City and it didn't make a good impression me. But this looks pretty delicious!

Candace said...

I usually never have room for dessert when we go out for Mexican; but you are making me think that next time, I should make it a point to do so. It looks delicious! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Karen Harris said...

Love a good flan. I have a really great recipe that incorporates cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk, but this one with cornmeal sounds intriguing. I'll have to do a little experimentation. Thanks for the inspiration Mary!

Miriam said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy!! I can practically taste that sweet creaminess. Have a happy weekend!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Judee said...

Flan is one of our favorites and that one looks extra delicious. I love reading about your frugal finds.

Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?