Friday, September 16, 2011
Frugal Floozie Friday -- La Fiesta Mexicana
I had a fabulous dinner recently at La Fiesta Mexicana. My entree didn't fall within the Frugal Floozie Friday budget of $5 per person; but the dessert I ordered definitely did.
I simply couldn't resist when the charming, friendly waitress suggested flan for dessert, which qualifies perfectly for our mission at only $3.50. The treat appears to be small, but it is so rich and luxuriant that it was a perfect finish to an excellent meal.
Whether it's called crème caramel in France or flan in Spain and Mexico, this is absolutely one of my very favorite foods! It is a custard topped with a thin sweet sauce, but this really oversimplifies things and doesn't make the dessert sound as enticing as it actually is.
Sugar is melted until golden and poured into a baking dish before a milk mixture is added; the pudding is then baked until set. Then the contents are tipped out onto a dish with the caramel sauce slinking down the sides of the custard ... it is absolutely sublime, rich and creamy. La Fiesta Mexicana adds a bit of cornmeal to the custard, thus creating a sturdier but no less seductive dessert.
So head on over to Ypsi for a truly decadent treat for not very much money!
La Fiesta Mexicana
529 W. Cross
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
View Larger Map
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Tuptim
- Hot Dog Hotdish for the Minnesota Game
- Apple Almond Kugel for Rosh Hashanah
- The Saga of the Broken Apple Tart
- Peanut Butter Pancakes with Nutella Sauce
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Tea Haus
- Plantain Chip & Black Bean Nachos for the San Dieg...
- Confetti Pasta
- Creamy Macaroni & Cheese
- Soft 'n' Chewy Oatmeal Cookies for Alpha House
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- La Fiesta Mexicana
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad for the EMU Game
- Curried Lentil Soup with Tomato
- Cinnamon Roll Sundae
- National Chocolate Milkshake Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- \aut\ Bar
- Chocolate Guinness Cake for the Notre Dame Game
- Zucchini alla Puttanesca
- Peach 'n' Pecan Parfaits
- National Cheese Pizza Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Frita Batidos
- Beer 'n' Cheese Bread for the Football Season Open...
- ▼ September (22)