Monday, September 5, 2011
National Cheese Pizza Day
Any day is perfect for pizza! And today is an occasion to celebrate the simplest example of this fine food - cheese pizza.
But that doesn't mean we're necessarily resorting to a boring crust with bland tomato sauce and plain ol' mozzarella. Oh, no! Just because it's National Cheese Pizza Day doesn't mean our dinner has to be mundane and dreary, the kind of thing you order for kids who won't eat anything more adventurous than peanut butter and jelly or hot dogs.
Why not vary the crust? A baguette halved lengthwise or a sourdough English muffin would work beautifully, as would a thick slice of an artisan bread featuring, perhaps, rosemary or garlic.
Sauces don't necessarily need to be made with tomatoes. Try pesto, or maybe a lovely tapenade made from beautiful ripe olives.
And cheeses ... well, there are so many varieties of cheese that your only limitations are your imagination, your family's tastes, and your budget. You can enjoy anything from the strongest and smelliest specimens to the most delicate.
So make dinner simple tonight - make the immensely flavorful Two Cheese Pizza below, or even just order out. Make sure you celebrate, though - National Cheese Pizza Day shouldn't be missed!
Two Cheese Pizza for Two
2 6" thick pita breads
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/3 cup milk
pinch each of salt and pepper
1/3 cup shredded parmesan
3 ounces crumbled blue cheese
Preheat oven to 400F.
Lay the pita breads onto a baking sheet.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter; whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk, and add the salt and pepper; cook until just thickened. Stir in the parmesan.
Spread the cheese sauce onto the pita breads, almost to the edges. Divide the blue cheese and sprinkle it onto the pita breads.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the cheese is golden and the sauce is bubbling.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Tuptim
- Hot Dog Hotdish for the Minnesota Game
- Apple Almond Kugel for Rosh Hashanah
- The Saga of the Broken Apple Tart
- Peanut Butter Pancakes with Nutella Sauce
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Tea Haus
- Plantain Chip & Black Bean Nachos for the San Dieg...
- Confetti Pasta
- Creamy Macaroni & Cheese
- Soft 'n' Chewy Oatmeal Cookies for Alpha House
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- La Fiesta Mexicana
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad for the EMU Game
- Curried Lentil Soup with Tomato
- Cinnamon Roll Sundae
- National Chocolate Milkshake Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- \aut\ Bar
- Chocolate Guinness Cake for the Notre Dame Game
- Zucchini alla Puttanesca
- Peach 'n' Pecan Parfaits
- National Cheese Pizza Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Frita Batidos
- Beer 'n' Cheese Bread for the Football Season Open...
- ▼ September (22)