Thursday, September 22, 2011
Plantain Chip & Black Bean Nachos for the San Diego State Game
Michigan's new coach, Brady Hoke, left San Diego State University this year for the honor of coaching in Ann Arbor and returning The University of Michigan to its former football glory.
And this weekend, Hoke's old team and his new team will be meeting at The Big House.
So, what to serve in honor of this occasion?
Nachos. Perfect game food, whether tailgating or watching with family and friends at home. Some Mexican influence, since San Diego is right at the border. And our opponent's team colors just happen to be yellow, black and scarlet.
So I used golden yellow plantain chips for the base instead of the traditional corn ones; they're lightly crispy and offer a unique and different flavor - almost slightly sour, with a hint of banana-ish familiarity peeking through the saltiness. I used refried black beans instead of pintos, and I tossed in chorizo and some fresh salsa for some vivid redness.
Nachos are easy to make, and always welcome at a football game - try these for a change!
San Diego State University at University of Michigan
Saturday, September 24 at Noon EDT
Plantain Chip & Black Bean Nachos
1/4 pound fresh chorizo
1 small yellow onion, chopped
half of an 8-ounce bag plantain chips
1 14-ounce can refried black beans
4 ounces Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
1/2 cup fresh salsa
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Brown the chorizo in a medium skillet, adding the onion when the sausage is almost done; cook for 3 minutes, just so that the onions aren't too raw.
Place the plantain chips into the bottom of a 9" pie pan. Top with the refried beans, then cover the beans with the chorizo mixture. Sprinkle the cheese over the top, and spread the salsa over the cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and the dish is bubbling a bit.
Serves 4-8, depending upon serving size.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (88)
- ► 2012 (229)
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Tuptim
- Hot Dog Hotdish for the Minnesota Game
- Apple Almond Kugel for Rosh Hashanah
- The Saga of the Broken Apple Tart
- Peanut Butter Pancakes with Nutella Sauce
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Tea Haus
- Plantain Chip & Black Bean Nachos for the San Dieg...
- Confetti Pasta
- Creamy Macaroni & Cheese
- Soft 'n' Chewy Oatmeal Cookies for Alpha House
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- La Fiesta Mexicana
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad for the EMU Game
- Curried Lentil Soup with Tomato
- Cinnamon Roll Sundae
- National Chocolate Milkshake Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- \aut\ Bar
- Chocolate Guinness Cake for the Notre Dame Game
- Zucchini alla Puttanesca
- Peach 'n' Pecan Parfaits
- National Cheese Pizza Day
- Frugal Floozie Friday -- Frita Batidos
- Beer 'n' Cheese Bread for the Football Season Open...
- ▼ September (22)