Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Root Beer-Basted Ham
I didn't serve ham for Easter, since my Easter plans went rather awry. So I baked the ham a few days later for Jeremy, his buddy Mitch, and their friend Anna who's now sharing lead vocals with Jeremy in their band. (For a sample of their music, go to this site: 90 Miles From Vegas.)
Feeding the band is a long-cherished tradition here, and it had been ages since I'd had the privilege. Band members started focusing on school, schedules conflicted, kids moved up north ... they all grew up and life went on. Jeremy still hung out with his friends, but it was much quieter and less festive.
Most parents cringe at the noise of band practice; and I admit, it has been a few years since Jeremy and his buddies played here ... either they got louder or I got older, preferably the former! But I'd still rather have them tinkering around with grunge pedals and screeching guitars here, at my place, even if I often wonder when the neighbors will start banging on the door. (To their credit, they've complimented Jeremy on his music!)
I've missed having hungry kids to feed when they take a break from practice. I've missed having ready guinea pigs who happily devour whatever I prepare for them.
I've missed having kids hanging out in my basement, playing music and following their dreams.
Root Beer-Basted Ham
1 2.5-ounce honey cured ham, boneless, sliced
1/2 cup root beer
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon brown mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce
juice of 1 small orange
Preheat oven to 400F. Place ham into an 8"x8" baking dish.
Place remaining ingredients into a small saucepan; bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Pour sauce over ham, cover dish with foil, and bake for 20 minutes.
Uncover, then baste ham with sauce; bake for 10 more minutes. Baste again, then bake for 10 more minutes.
Ghosts of Postings Past and Present
- Reuben Mina and a Cute Story
- Frugal Floozie Friday - My Favorite Cafe
- Gluten-Free Sweet 'n' Salty Mini Chocolate Cupcake...
- Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms - Be Our Guest!
- Baked Chicken with Morels and Leeks
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Morgan and York
- Butter Cake for Yom HaShoah
- Gluten-Free Pasta with a Gremolata Gratin
- Root Beer-Basted Ham
- Taqueria La Fiesta, Part Dos
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Jolly Pumpkin Cafe & Brewe...
- Dijon Devilled Eggs + Giveaway Winner
- Chicken Baked in Spiced Mango Sauce
- Espresso Pudding Parfait
- Matzah 'n' Mangoes (and a Giveaway!)
- Frugal Floozie Friday - Cafe Ollie
- Boston Baked Beans for Opening Day
- Slows To Go
- Krispy Kreme Chocolate Chip Cookies
- The Brisket Bake-Off
- ▼ April (21)
- ► 2011 (259)