Monday, May 2, 2011

Plum Jam


I had planned to make some lovely glazed lemon muffins with a dab of homemade plum jam in the middle, but I never managed to get around to it ... ah, such is life. I've got a pretty long list of things I'd like to make, should've made, wish I'd made; just one more item to jot down.

A very good friend had given me a half-dozen enormous plums, sharing some of the exceptionally generous bounty he'd been given by a colleague. They were fabulous all on their own, of course; but you know me -- always gotta tinker, always gotta make something, always gotta be cookin'. And jam is easy, so that's usually my first thought when I have extra fruit.

So the first order of business was to make the jam, or else there'd have been nothing to put into the muffins (since I didn't know at the time that there'd be no muffins to put the jam into!). I just chopped the fruit, added some sugar, and I added a splash of red wine (Sangiovese, the same type I'd sampled at the recent wine tasting) to give it a little extra depth. I never bother with pectin, I just cook it all down 'til it's thick.

So now I'm ready to make a PB&J ... or to make those lemon muffins, should another craving strike!

Plum Jam

2 very large plums, pitted, chopped into 1/2" dice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup red wine

Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan.


Heat over medium-high heat until mixture reaches a boil. Stir occasionally at first, then as it starts to thicken and the fruit starts to soften you need to stir frequently and press upon the fruit to mash it.

Cook for 45 minutes or so until the consistency of jam.


Place into a covered container and refrigerate until cool.

6 comments:

Candace said...

With warm weather arriving here in New England and the closing of our house impending, I am finding it more difficult to cook the things on my list and even more difficult to blog about what I manage to prepare. I hope I snap out of it with the new kitchen. We shall see! Your jam looks delicious, Mary. I would forget the lemon muffins and just schmear it on top of a spicy grilled pork chop, I think. Love fruit and pork together!

Unknown said...

I have one of those lists...funny how it keeps getting longer and longer instead of short... :)
Lovin' the jam...who needs a muffin, I mean this jam would make regular toast taste amazing!!

Cranberry Morning said...

I have never ever made plum jam, and I even have a plum tree! Your jam looks amazing. I think I'll have to put a net over my tree so I can catch the plums when they're ripe. You've inspired me, Mary!! (as usual) :-)

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Sounds pretty dang easy! When we first got over to Germany last late summer, they were big on Schwetzgen (Sp?) plums, and made strudel and jams out of it. Loved it! So I am sure this is just as delicious, if not more :)

Anonymous said...

My son LOVES plum! I know he will love this!

Miriam said...

I actually adore plum jam and it has been forever since I've had it homemade. Thanks for the recipe! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?