Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pie Party: Brownie Ice Cream Pie


Some things in life are serendipitous, and others can be a bit of a challenge. I had thought that I was going to make some chocolate cookies on Sunday morning, then fill them with ice cream to make sandwiches ... however, my plan went pretty far awry!

A good friend had decided she'd never use a brownie mix that had been loitering in her cupboard, so she gave it to me. So on Sunday I decided to put the mix to use, and had determined to make a variation printed on the box which suggested adding 1/2 cup flour to the batter and then making drop cookies instead of just plain ol' brownies.

I followed the instructions, made large cookies, baked them, they were set ... and they turned out to be much too soft. They folded in on themselves when I tried to remove them from the baking sheet for cooling on a rack; leaving them to rest on the sheet for awhile didn't help. They sank into the cooling racks, becoming a bit wavy. They were not feeling particularly cooperative!

But I am not a girl who throws out food ... nope, not I. So, if the cookies weren't going to submit to my iron will, I was simply going to have to teach them a lesson. I crumbled them.

And then those crumbs became part of the crust for an ice cream pie, in honor of today's Pie Party extravaganza - the cyberspace phenomenon in which it was randomly suggested that July 5 be a celebration of pie, and virtually everyone else on Twitter and Facebook seemingly signed up for this noble mission.

Even after using some of the crumbs, there were a lot of them left ... a lot. So I did what anyone with a ravenous sweet tooth would do on a near-90 degree day: I combined them with ice cream! That became the filling for my pie.

Then, of course, you can't go wrong with chocolate sauce and whipped cream. We'd all be happier people if we could have chocolate sauce and whipped cream more often.

And so, there you have it: my contribution to the Pie Party - Brownie Ice Cream Pie. It has no redeeming nutritional value; but you'll be so, so happy while you eat it that you really, truly won't care how many calories you've just ingested!


Brownie Ice Cream Pie

Brownies:
(You can just prepare a batch of brownies and crumble them; baking the mix into cookies won't change the consistency, and this is much easier to do)
1 19.8-ounce box Kroger Ultra Moist Deluxe Fudge Brownie Mix
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup water
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare brownies according to package directions, then let cool completely.

Crust:
2 cups vanilla wafers, ground into fine crumbs
3 tablespoons sugar
2 cups brownie crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in a 9" glass pie pan. Press mixture against the sides of the pan and press evenly over the base. Bake for 15 minutes, then let cool completely.

Filling:
1-1/2 quarts vanilla caramel swirl ice cream, softened
3 cups crumbled brownies
whipped cream
chocolate sauce, for drizzling

Combine ice cream with brownies; spread into the crust. Freeze overnight, then let rest on the countertop for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Cut the pie and place each serving onto a dessert plate. Spritz with whipped cream and drizzle chocolate sauce over everything.

Makes 8 very generous servings.

8 comments:

Denise said...

This post should have a warning label. Positively sinful!

Candace said...

You are a girl after my own heart! There's nothing better than brownies and ice cream, in my honest opinion. I give you a standing ovation for this one, Mary. Yum!

Leanne said...

Really??? This just happened - by mistake?? I couldn't 'plan' such a brownie mishap to end up so beautifully! I think I need to invent some sort of laptop screen cover - to protect my computer from moments like this when I really want to take a bite!! De-lish, I tell ya!!

Cranberry Morning said...

You're amazing, Mary! What a great summertime treat! I've gotta make this for my grandsons next time they're out. They'll think you're a genius for sure! (which, of course, the rest of us already know.) :-)

Angela said...

An excellent use of your resources! Looks fabulous, and everything is better with ice cream.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Now I shall obsess about this creamy chocolate laced pie all day long. Thanks Mary :) Awesome job turning a brownie disaster into brownie bliss!! Looks delish!

Life Happens said...

You can never go wrong with brownies and icecream! Whether in a pie or in the sky, it's always delish!

Miriam said...

Great improv! Love the pie :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?