Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Pasta con Peperoni e Pomodori


It was cold. It was starting to rain as I walked back home from the bus stop. I had stayed an extra hour late at work. I was hungry.

This was not the time to start a lengthy cooking marathon. But I was also determined not to give in to eating ice cream for dinner just because it would be ready quickly.

So I relied, once again, upon the generous gift of Progresso Recipe Starters that had been sent to me awhile ago - ready-to-use sauces to make dinner preparation ridiculously easy.

I chose the Creamy Parmesan Basil variety. But, of course, I didn't just follow the directions on the label. I never do.

I cooked up some lovely bow-tie pasta, which just makes me happy; it's so much nicer than simple spaghetti.

I sauteed some red pepper, as well as one last tomato from the garden that Jeremy and his dad grew this summer. I added a splash of white wine ... well, do I really need a reason for that??? And I added a bit of the Progresso sauce, to make a rich, creamy, delicious, pasta sauce without relying upon simply opening a jar.

I was really thrilled with how well this dish turned out! It was bright, it had a bit of spice, and it was a perfect dinner for a chilly, windy, dreary evening.


Pasta con Peperoni e Pomodori

This is actually just Pasta with Peppers and Tomatoes. But doesn't it sound more elegant in Italian??? [PAHS-tuh kohn pay-pay-ROH-nee ay poh-moh-DOH-ree] ... sigh. Even the simplest dish sounds more exotic and sophisticated in Italian!

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 small red pepper, finely diced
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • pinch of freshly ground pepper
  • generous pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 1 cup Progresso Creamy Parmesan Basil Recipe Starter
  • 12 ounces farfalle, cooked according to package directions
  • Parmesan cheese, for serving

In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add pepper, tomato, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; cook for 3 minutes, until vegetables are becoming tender. Add the wine, turn heat to medium-high, and cook 5 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the Progresso Recipe Starter and cook over low heat for 5 more minutes until heated through.

Place the farfalle onto a serving platter, and pour the sauce over it. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve immediately.

Serves 2-4.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Simple and perfect... can't go wrong there at all! And this looks perfect!!! I've had to resort to very quick meals recently too.. working long hours makes it hard to put too much effort into cooking, especially when you don't get home until after 7pm!!

Debra Hawkins said...

This looks amazing! I am a sucker for a good sauce, especially when they are easy.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

That looks yummy. Directions are just suggestions for me to take it further,lol...


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?