Monday, January 14, 2013

Brandied Apple Cranberry Compote


This was a concoction that simply struck my fancy one evening, when I had a bag of cranberries left over from Christmas and some beautiful green apples. It was cold out, and it just seemed right to make a lovely warm fruit compote.

This can be eaten "as is" (which, admittedly, is how I polished off every bit of it without sharing). It can be stirred into oatmeal. It can enhance roasted pork or chicken. Wrap it up in squares of puff pastry and make turnovers.

The choice is yours ....

Brandied Apple Cranberry Compote

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 Granny Smith apples
  • 2 tablespoons brandy
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup fresh cranberries

Place apples and butter into a small saucepan; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients, cover, and cook for another 5 minutes until apples are tender and cranberries have burst.

Makes about 1 cup of compote.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooohhhh.. I've been wondering what I was going to do with leftover cranberries I had from Christmas.... Now I know!!!! YUM!!!

Cranberry Morning said...

I have all the ingredients. That looks beautiful! Can I add walnuts? Those cranberries in my refrig will be so happy to have purpose in their chilly little lives.

Robin said...

I read this one to mom and we both give it a THUMBS UP.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Oh, Mary this is heavenly.What a wonderful winter side dish :)


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?